Thursday, April 17, 2008

Can I take the next 2 days off for Flag Day

I miss the holidays in American Samoa. Not only did we get every U.S. holiday off, we also had several local island holidays, including today. April 17 each year marks the anniversary of American Samoa becoming a U.S. Territory and heralds the biggest event on the South Pacific Island's calendar. It was on this date in 1900 that Captain B. F. Tilley of the U.S. Navy raised the American Flag on Samoan soil and American Samoa as a U.S. Territory was born. Today and tomorrow, the sixty thousand odd population of American Samoa commemorate Flag Day with traditional dancing and singing, colourful parades and Fautasi - longboat - racing, with the American Samoan flag flying from all public buildings. Even though most of my Palagi friends will take this time to travel to Western Samoa, or Manua (which has its own holiday flag day celebration and day off of work on July 17) Flag day is a great day to be in American Samoa. To all American Samoans.... this is your day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel like donning my puletasi.