Mark and I stayed home--as in, our condo--for Christmas Eve and most of Christmas day.
Christmas Eve we did a few errands and just goofed around. We went to the DMV to get a new title to our motorcycle with my "new" name and Mark's name. We went to a movie, The Day the Earth Stood Still. It wasn't our favorite. Then we went home to open our newly purchased package of construction paper.
In line with a tradition Mark had growing up, we made paper placemats for Christmas breakfast. Mark's parents started it with them when they were kids. So, we decided it would be fun for us to do too. Mark made a blue and yellow one. I made a red and green "tree."
Following my family's Christmas Eve tradition, we made a turkey dinner. My family usually does the big meal on Christmas Eve because then we just eat leftovers and relax on Christmas day. We had rolls, Jell-o, cranberries, mashed potatoes, and veggies. We also made an apple pie from scratch, but didn't end up touching it because we were so full. Dinner was delicious! (Mark cooked the turkey.)
I've been wanting to go Christmas light browsing since the beginning of December. Mark promised me we could go on Christmas Eve. So, following our dinner, we went out into the cold. We had quite an unsuccessful search. It made me sad. We even went over to the far east side of the valley even, and were hardly dazzled with any of the lights. We went home.
We went to bed early. Except, I was excited, like I was a little kid. I kept waking up throughout the night every hour or so. When it finally got to 7:00 am, I spoke. Mark was already awake. I guess he was excited too. We jumped out of bed and did our bathroom stuff. Then, we went out to see what Santa brought!
We both made a haul. And, I don't think that I could have been any more excited or happy. Mark got me a new set of scriptures with my "new" name on them, a Chia Po, a new half helmet, and--he framed our Manti canvas!!!!!
The things I was most excited to give Mark included a new church bag, all of his diplomas and court appointments framed (for his office), some snazzy ties, and some new knives. There's plenty more, but you probably don't want the whole list of things.
I have wanted a Chia Pet since I was little, I can't remember not wanting one. And he got me a Po! We both love Kung Fu Panda, and it has special meaning to us since it's the first movie we watched together after we got married. I "planted" it first thing at work after we came back from Ferron. It's already grown in five days! I'm so happy. Po is my friend. hehehe....
I also can't stop looking at our Manti picture. It is absolutely wonderful. I love it. Love it! Mark was nervous about getting it done right, and did indeed do it. What a stud.......
After we relished in our Christmas loot for a little longer, we made breakfast and used our new placemats. Ah, what a beautiful day. Then we took a nap, a long, long nap. Like three hours.
When we woke up, we decided that we would go to Ferron that afternoon. So, we packed. And packed. And packed some more. We took a ton of stuff to Ferron, but we "needed it." We also took our completely whole apple pie to share with everyone.
We left at the exact wrong time--right when the storm hit. We had poor to bad weather the whole trip to Ferron. But, we got there in good time anyway. Mark did a couple corners pretty fast, scaring me. But, I refrained from saying anything because he was the driver, not me. He did hit one corner too fast because we ended up all over the road. I was glad I had my seatbelt on.
Mom, Dad, McKayla, Anthony, Leigh, Dustin, and Teresa were at home when we got there. Mom and Dad gave us a ton of stuff too. I think they love us.
Friday we had a small extended family gift exchange. The theme this year was "red." We had some good gifts going around. Mark ended up with a cup game. I ended up with red Christmas lights and a red Christmas 0-3 month pajama and bib set. We took red sleds and a red bowl for our contribution.
Anthony, Leigh, Dustin, and Teresa all went to Cedar City Friday afternoon. Mom, Dad, McKayla, Mark, and I went to St. George first thing--before the rooster crowed--on Saturday morning. Dustin and Teresa met us there. We attended my cousin's sealing to his wife and baby daughter. It was actually really, really wonderful.
We all had a big lunch at a steakhouse after we said goodbye to the extended family.
Mark had to give the opening prayer in sacrament meeting Sunday back in Ferron. I saw my old seminary teacher from 9th grade at church too.
Sunday afternoon, Mom, Dad, McKayla, Mark, and I played games...and played games...and played more games. We had soooooooooo much fun. We played Nertz, the peanut game, and a couple other card games.
Monday morning, all five of us headed back to the Wasatch front. McKayla had an orthodontist appointment. Mark and I stopped at a little trolley diner for amazing salads in Springville on the way home. It was a most wonderful Christmas break. We both went back to work on Tuesday.
2 comments:
That sounds like a fabulous first Christmas! I haven't played Nertz in forever! How fun!
Your placemat is pretty awesome Andrea! Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! I'm glad you traveled safely despite the bad weather.
Post a Comment