This year, I've typed up a little Christmas note to send with Christmas cards. "Christmas" being the key word.
I made more notes than I have Christmas cards, because I plan on passing them out here at work. But then I started thinking...maybe I'll offend someone. I mean, I'm not sure of everyone's religious views here at work. I know for sure there is one lady who is Jewish and there are a couple people that I don't know at all if they even are religious. Should I make them special cards that say, "Happy Holidays"?
So, that was my thought.... I haven't passed them out yet. But, I've been thinking about that for a little while. (Yes, I really was thinking this. So much thought over something so many of you probably have never considered.) My conclusion is.........
I'm not ashamed. (I am, however, ashamed that it took me so long to ponder over this.)
I am going to pass my little Christmas notes out, as originally intended--because I am not ashamed of my belief in my Savior, Jesus Christ. I want people to know that I honor Him this month. I want people to know that I love Him. I want people to know that I think about Him.
I'm not ashamed of my beliefs. And, I have been thinking about the "offensive" thing too. The way I see it, I actually won't be offending someone because I'm not telling them what to believe. I'm not telling them they have to agree with me. I'm just telling them that I honor my Savior. In fact, I respect their religious beliefs (or lack of religion), if that's how they choose to live. I respect them, they respect me.
I am not ashamed of my Savior, Jesus Christ. And to you I say, "Merry Christmas!"
6 comments:
I agree with you!! MERRY Christmas! I thought you put that really well....We are so cautious of offending people yet that is what we believe and you're not pushing your religion on them either. You're intend is not to offend.
Bravo! He is the reason for the season!
Good for you! I've been feeling the same way and you know what? I'm tired of having to watch what I say because people will take offense. I never ever intended to offend and it's time people take responsibility for their choices. If they want to be offended, I'm sorry, but it wasn't my intention and I will not be ashamed of my beliefs any more! This is good and right and I'm sorry it took me so long to ponder it too!
Good for you! What do non-christian people do during this time anyway? Still shop the sales, eat a a Christmas dinner. I've always wondered.
Good Job! I totally agree with you.
Interestingly, I've always thought a lot about this, likely because of where I grew up. In San Francisco, you hear "Happy Holidays" all the time and I find myself saying the same thing here. Habit, I suppose. I don't think it's out of fear of offending someone, but rather to be inclusive of all the holidays we celebrate at this time of year.
Post a Comment