Monday, December 22, 2008

I Love Neil Diamond

I love Mark too, but I love Neil Diamond. Ok, here is the story.


On December 10, we had our work Christmas lunch. I happened to sit at the table with the new commissioner (Bill), my great friend (Marisa), my boss (Lucille), and another awesome lady (Peggy). The Commish asked all of us to tell him what to say for his little talk he had to give. We ended up giving him some great ideas: like balance a plant on his head (Marisa), sing his talk (Marisa), and give a quote by Mark Twain (me—definitely not as funny as the other ideas).

After lunch was over and the Commish had delivered his plant-less, singing-less speech, he came back to our table and chatted with us a bit more. He asked us how we felt about Neil Diamond.

I told him the truth: I LOVE NEIL DIAMOND! Marisa said something similar, but I was listening more intently to what the Commish had to say than to Marisa’s answer. He also asked how our husbands felt about Mr. Diamond. I told him my husband was a fan. Marisa said hers, sadly, was not. Turned out, the Commish had purchased TEN (10) tickets to the Neil Diamond concert (December 19th). He was looking for people to take with him.

I immediately volunteered myself. Marisa did the same. The Commish said he would get back to us.

Well, that set Marisa and me on a campaign trail. We started by publicizing our love for Neil Diamond with pictures plastered on our cubicles. Next, Peggy and her husband helped us by making us buttons to wear. We wore our buttons even on the days the Commish wasn’t in the office. We didn’t want him to think we’re just fair-weather friends. Because we’re not. We love Neil Diamond.

On Tuesday, the Commish gave Marisa and me a Neil Diamond DVD. Marisa gave it to me, after she watched it. It’s one of my favorite Christmas presents already.

Wednesday, December 17th, Bill announced to Marisa and me that he would indeed invite us to be his guests at the concert. He also informed us that he didn’t have enough tickets for our husbands. Marisa was not sad, I was only a little sad. Just a little—I was too excited I was going! Woohooooooo!!!!

Mark said he would find something to keep him busy Friday night while I was out seeing the one and only Mr. Neil Diamond!

Friday, December 19th, as I was getting ready to go home from work, the Commissioner happened to see me. He asked if my husband would still be interested in going to the concert. I said, “Yes.” He told me to hang around for a bit because one of his other guests might not be able to attend. He said the phone call was forthcoming and to just hold on a bit.

So, I did. About a half hour later, the call came.

GLAD TIDINGS! For me, anyway. Mark could go!

Yes, Bill gave me TWO tickets to the Neil Diamond concert. Mark had to change his plans, but I think he had fun. I know I had fun. I had so much fun I could hardly contain myself.


Our seats were great. They weren’t too far back, they weren’t too far up, and they weren’t in a weird location. They were GREAT seats.


The Commish got a kick out of me singing and dancing, but that’s what a silly girl like me does when she goes to one of her favorites’ concerts.


Mr. Diamond was fantastic. I loved every minute. I also loved how the average age of the attendees was approximately 95. Okay, maybe that is a exaggerating a little. Maybe. I also really liked his simple stage. It changed colors and moved a bit. It wasn't too flashy and it added the right aura to the whole performance.


Marisa and I both wore our beautiful buttons. There was a certain bond with Mr. Diamond by wearing them.


I waited, and waited, and waited, for “Coming to America.” He finally sang it as one of his three encore numbers. It was beautiful. Just fantastic.

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yay Neil Diamond!! When I went I sat behind the stage so my friends and I actually stared at his backside the whole time:) Glad you had fun and that your hubby could go too!!!

Peggy said...

I'm so glad you AND Mark were able to attend. I can't wait to show Tim that you wore the buttons!!! What a memorable experience for you all.

Janet said...

Hooray!!! That is so cool that you got to go!

Unknown said...

Coming to America is the only Diamond song I know... but I like that one!

I'm glad you had so much fun and you got to spend it with your best friend!

Michelle said...

Mr. Neil Diamond in the living flesh! Words cannot explain. Did he wear sequins again? Time stands still for Mr. Neil Diamond.

Marisa Jean said...

I still am floating on cloud 9. Man that was a fantastic concert! I'm so glad that you never gave up hope that we were going to get tickets because my faith was wearing thin. I love our pins, but I love Neil even more!

Michelle said...

My parents first date was a Neil Diamond concert...amazing that he is still able to put on a show and not be in a wheelchair!!! Glad you had a good time.

Monica said...

Oh - how fun! That would be such an amazing concert to see. Jealous (and happy for you).

Mer said...

I am so freaking jealous right now. I love Neil!! I'm glad you had such a great time. It looks like you guys had a blast!