Tuesday, May 17, 2011

NICU Nurses

The NICU nurses were the best and the worst. OK, I wouldn’t really say any were the “worst.” But, there were some nurses that just did not make me happy when I was there. And there were some nurses that were saints, truly saints.

Toward the beginning of the NICU stay, Emma had one nurse for two days that turned out to be my Angel. Her name was Lisa. I don’t know what her last name is—none of the name badges had last names on them.

Lisa was super happy, super smart, and super intuitive. She was aware of not only Emma’s needs, but my needs.

As I was feeding Emma one time, I overheard Lisa talking to a nursing student about being a nurse. Lisa was telling how she came to work in the NICU. The short version is that Lisa liked working with children, babies in particular, because they got better and they went home. Adults and older children—they suffered because they knew they were supposed to suffer.

That thought—these babies get better and go home—really uplifted me that day.

There were so many nurses that worked there in the NICU. If I had to guess, I would say there were probably around 80 nurses. I could be off, more or less. I’m just guessing. But we only had the same nurse (not counting consecutive days) once.

Sooooo many nurses. And yet I ran into Lisa again, and again, and again. Every time I ran into her, she asked me how Emma was doing—by name. And she always had a word of encouragement. On May 2, Lisa was the nurse that suggested I ask the doctors for a scope to see if Emma had something more serious in her throat than they were letting on. Lisa suggested (as my friend, Melanie had) that Emma might have tracheomalacia.

Some of the nurses were happy to make Emma pretty. Some of them searched for cute outfits for Emma to wear. Some of them were happy to put a new bow on her head. Others could care less.

Some of the nurses encouraged me and told me I was doing a good job. Other nurses “suggested” something better, as though I wasn’t good enough.

Some of the nurses were trying really had to help Emma help herself. Others just hooked her up to the feeding tube.

Anyway, the NICU nurses had a lot of influence on my life for 20 days. I’m so grateful for the kind and encouraging ones—so grateful.

No comments: