Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Angels in Our Lives

There have been so, so many angels in our lives since Emma has been born. I just wanted to write about these people.

I don’t even know how many people have prayed for us. Many continue to pray for us. These are family and friends all over the world, not just our neighbors. I also consider with these all those who may not have the same beliefs that I do and may just been thinking about us. Personally, those thoughts are prayers whether they might agree with me or not.

There have been many friends who have taken Zachary for me for a few hours, or even many hours, while I have been going to and from the NICU. And even some friends are still being available for me now as I am taking Emma to appointments. One girl came to take Zachary one day when I was housebound and he needed a walk outside. Let’s see if I can even remember: Alyssa, Shalise, Pauline, Stacie, the Mulitalos, and Shirlee. Many others have also volunteered to take Zachary, I just haven’t needed them yet.

Many people have provided meals for us. When we first came home from the hospital, no one brought us dinner. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful or even entitled. But, I actually did feel bad when we had been home for a few days and no one had even physically visited us. My mom asked me a few days after I’d been home what the deal with our ward was. I didn’t have an answer. A few days after that, Mark admitted to me that he was upset about the lack thereof as well.

But, then people started bringing us meals. Many meals. Meals that have been greatly appreciated—greatly. So many meals I feel humbled. So many meals I’ve been feeling almost bad and wondering if the other women in our ward have been taken care of when they have had their babies.

One of the first people to bring us a meal is a woman who isn’t even in our ward. In fact, she brought us a box—literally—full of four complete freezer meals. She brought these on a day I was feeling absolutely overwhelmed, exhausted, and depressed. She couldn’t have been more of an angel.

A friend from Colorado sent us a gift card for McDonald’s. A friend who is not even that close of friend brought us a meal and all the baby girl hand-me-downs she wanted to part with.

Mark and I were planning on shopping for and preparing a freezer full of meals on April 15 and 16. So when Emma came on April 14, we were definitely caught off guard and unprepared. Thanks to all those who came to our emotional and physical rescue: Jamie, Alyssa, Jill and Steve, Shalise and Trent, Pauline, Jessica, Carl and Karli, Melanie, Connie, Kathy, Stephanie, Zaya, Angela, Shannon, Erin. Considering how tired and stressed I am, I am eternally grateful to these angels and the sixteen meals they’ve provided to our family.

Because we didn’t find out Emma’s gender before she was born, I’ve been banking on hand-me-downs from family and friends for a little girl. We’ve received two boxes of girl clothes. On top of that, we’ve had friends give us new things. I’ve had so much fun with the little girl clothes. Thanks to Angela and Julie for the hand-me-downs (and they both gave us new things in the boxes too!). And thanks to Jill, Jamie, Melanie, Karen, Michelle, the Zimmermans, the Harpers, Jarom and Shirlee, Aunt Vernita, Shalise, Debbie, Pat (a whole bag full of new things), Dustin and Teresa, and Gail. It’s so fun to get these gifts—and it’s also greatly appreciated.

Mark’s mom came to stay with us for a few days this month. We’re glad she got to come while Emma was still so little. And I’m so thankful for the effort she put into taking care of us while she was here. She cleaned for us and took Zachary on walks.

Jill came the other day to fold my clothes. There may have been days that I would have said, “Ah, nah, you don’t need to do that.” But, our pediatrician said I better take care of myself and take advantage of these types of offers. Honestly, it was a relief to have someone help me with that simple task. Pat is coming tomorrow to help me with a few household chores too. Angels. These are angels.

Along with all these angels, three others have particularly been angels to our family. I don’t think I would be as sane without these three. I’m pretty sure I would have cried many tears without them. I’m pretty sure I would be not functioning without their love and care. These three are Jamie, Melanie, and my own mom.

Jamie is one of my best friends in my ward. She happens to be my visiting teacher. We originally became friends because we were in the Young Women leadership together. I think we’re better friends now that we’re not in YW.

Jamie was one of the first people to show up at the hospital when Emma was born. She not only brought a gift for Emma, but she also brought us a treat. Since that day, Jamie has shown up on our doorstep again and again, many times with food, a few times just with a word of friendship. She’s been there for anything and everything I’ve needed. Most of the time, I’ve just needed someone to cheer me on and keep me sane. So glad for my Jamie Angel.

Melanie is my other best friend from my ward. She, too, was originally my friend from Young Women leadership. Melanie also came to the hospital the day Emma was born. She brought a gift of newborn sized clothes (which we had none of) and some Jamba juices.

Mark and I actually put Melanie on our list of people who could visit Emma in the NICU whether or not we were with them. Honestly, that decision must have been inspired. Melanie used that permission to help us. Melanie happens to work at Primary Children’s Medical Center. She is a speech language pathologist—she helps babies and all ages of children with all things oral motor in nature. Since Emma has had so many eating issues, Melanie used her expertise to help Emma eat better. Melanie also is a lactation specialist, so she tried helping Emma with nursing too.

Melanie was the first one to notice that Emma had any kind true breathing problem. All the doctors and nurses at St. Marks just chalked Emma’s breathing and eating issues up to her “prematurity”—even though Emma really isn’t a preemie. Melanie suggested to me that Emma might have laryngomalacia or tracheomalacia. Melanie caught this diagnosis when Emma was probably a week old.

Since bringing Emma home, Melanie has helped both Mark and I with trying to get Emma to eat better.

Melanie, like Jamie, has also shown up or called just to check on me as well. This friendship has been invaluable to me, especially since I’ve been so tired and frustrated with everything.

As I will write in the next post, Melanie also went with me when I took Emma to a doctor’s appointment at Primary Children’s. More on that later.

As you can see, there have been almost countless angels in our lives the last few months. But, the one who has been the most important to me in my own mother.

When Emma was born, Mom came up the next day, Friday. Mom stayed with us until Monday. I wished she could have stayed longer, but she had to go home. They (the parents) had planned a special motorcycle trip a long time before, so she went home for that. But while she was here, she took special care of Zachary, she fed us meals, and she cleaned our house. She went with me to the NICU when she could and allowed Mark to go with me to the NICU other times.

It was on May 2 when she truly came to my rescue, though. Before it was planned and it was wonderful that she was able to be with us. But, the day I broke down, the day I couldn’t do it alone any more, she rescheduled her life to come help me. She came that night. Without her here, I would have been a true basket case.

I was super happy that Emma came home only two days later. But, think about that—if Mom hadn’t been here that week, I would have still been out of sorts. Mark was working, Zachary needed extra attention, and I actually had Emma home. With Mom here, together we were able to give Zachary that attention. And, Mom took care of us again: food, cleaning, and attention. I’m so, so grateful for my Angel Mother.

Thanks to all these Angels. Thanks to those who continue to help us. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

No comments: