Growing up as a Hales, we song many different songs. One of these songs was Johnny Verbeck. You can google and find various different versions. This morning, while in the shower, I started singing some additional verses. By noon, I had the following done. (And yes, we grew up singing Rebeck.. that can work too.)
JOHNNY VERBECK REPRISE
It has been 20 years since Johnny’s demise
And now is son, Junior, is making a reprise
He found his father’s sausage making machine
He fixed it up, added some gears, and made it really clean
Oh, Johnny Verbeck, Johnny Verbeck, how could you be so mean?
I told you, you'd be sorry for inventin' that machine
now all the neighbor’s cats and dogs will nevermore be seen
For they'll be ground to sausages in Johnny Verbeck's machine.
Now that it was working, he wanted to test it out
He needed to make some sausages for his sour kraut
So he grabbed some stray dogs and a few rats
He mixed in a couple of birds and a Siamese cat
Oh, Johnny Verbeck, Johnny Verbeck, how could you be so mean?
I told you, you'd be sorry for inventin' that machine
now all the neighbor’s cats and dogs will nevermore be seen
For they'll be ground to sausages in Johnny Verbeck's machine.
Junior made his dinner; he put it on his plate
He also served his daughter, and his wife Kate
They took a bite of sausage, it made them really ill
In two days it killed them all and now they’re buried by the hill
Oh, Johnny Verbeck, Johnny Verbeck, how could you be so mean?
I told you, you'd be sorry for inventin' that machine
now all the neighbor’s cats and dogs will nevermore be seen
For they'll never be ground to sausages in Johnny Verbeck's machine.
3 comments:
Awesome song Mark! Way to go! I'm hoping for a live performance at the reunion this summer! However, having never seen this song in written form, I must admit that I always thought it was Johnny Rebeck, rather than Johnny Verbeck. Who knew...?
It could be Rebeck.. that is how we grew up.. .as I googled it.. Verbeck was the more common usage.
Love the new verses. I don't think I can make the switch from "Rebeck" though.
Post a Comment