Saturday, October 03, 2009

Not Much Going On

It's been a while since we've posted. True. But, I wouldn't say there is much going on. I’m still adjusting to not going to work every day—and to waking up in the middle of the night.

The first week of Zachary's life my mom stayed with us. I am so incredibly grateful for my mom. She is an amazing angel. Seriously—an angel. And I have no idea how Mom was able to take care of FOUR children ages four and under when she was a new mom. She said it was all about scheduling. But, how do you schedule a newborn? Anyway........


Mark's mom came for one night this week too. She'll be back tomorrow morning. Zachary has some pretty great grandparents.

When the hospital discharged us that Saturday, the pediatrician sent us home with orders to put Zachary on bili lights: he had a slight case of jaundice. We had to take Zachary in to have his bilirubin checked on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. That means a lab technician poked his little foot to draw a small vial of blood. He slept through the blood drawing the first two times—when Mark took him back. But, he was wide awake and unhappy the third time—the time I took him back. Poor kid.

We were asked to keep Zachary on the bili bed not just at night, but also during the day. That meant we got to hold him less than we really wanted. But, he’s better now and we sent the light bed back to its company.


We took Zachary to his two-week check up on Thursday. Mark went with me. I'm glad he did. Mark is seriously such a good daddy already. (I think I'm the luckiest girl ever.)

Zachary has decided to not eat like a little oinker. Instead, he's eating regular meals. Which is good. So, he was almost exactly his birth weight: 8 pounds 11.5 ounces. (75th percentile.)

Zachary is growing good. He's already put on a good 1.25 inches. Now he is 22.25 inches. Woot! Grow boy! Grow! (95th percentile.)

And, Zachary's head is pretty good even with the two big old bumps. (75th percentile.) What big old bumps? Well, Zachary had to have some help with a vacuum coming through the birth canal. The one bump is where the vacuum was actually attached. The other bump is a result of his scalp being pulled up. The two bumps are finally starting to go away, though it still could be more than a month before he has a normal round baby head.

The first week of life we had Zachary in disposable diapers. Why? Because we were given so many. I'm totally up for free diapers. But, now we're using cloth diapers and saving the rest of the disposables for trips. I've already discovered that I want more diaper covers, but I have plenty of the actual diapers. So, I'm good with that.

Mark can calm Zachary better than me. For that I am thankful, except when Mark is at work and I'm alone with Zachary.


Zachary continues to be good at holding his head up. He’s been doing that since the delivery room—seriously. And I swear he has more control over his muscles than I ever imagined a newborn would have. It’s kind of amazing to me.

The dot on Zach’s head keeps moving. Mark and I both swear that sometimes it is smack dab in the center of his eyebrows and other times it is to the right. Maybe we’re delusional. But, it sure makes both of us giggle.


This morning we had a friend (see the link on the bottom right side of our blog) come this morning and take some pictures of the three of us. I can't wait to see these pictures.

We finished Zachary's bedroom after he came home. Mom made us the crib stuff, curtains, and a pillow case for the chair in his room. And I made the monkeys we put on the wall. We couldn't get them to stick very well (they are laminated). I finally stapled them to the walls. I also framed a picture of the temple and a picture of Jesus.


We put our little cougar in his awesome BYU onesie for one of the BYU games. Doesn’t he look GREAT?


Zachary has been such a good baby. We are so blessed and happy to have him in our lives.

14 comments:

Kristie said...

He is so adorable Andrea!!! What a sweet looking little guy. :) I am glad to see some more pictures of him.

eclaires said...

Hooray! I'm so happy to see pictures. I can't believe it's already been two weeks. Um, time flies.

Kaye and Jared said...

I've been wondering how you are doing. Thanks for the update! He is a very cute baby!! Glad things are going well for all 3 of you!!

Elaine said...

Yay! He's beautiful. Yes, too bad we can't hang out with the little guys all day. It is a hard transition to go from working to staying home with a baby all day. Just sleep when you can!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous baby!

-Mercedes

Hannah S said...

What a cutie. He reminds me of my son when he was just little. Yes, mothers are so helpful. I agree with Elaine, forget about the housework and sleep when he sleeps!

Monika Crowfoot said...

so sweet! glad to hear you guys are enjoying your baby boy - what a cutie!!

Melissa said...

He's so sweet and cute! I love the night picture of the bilibed, so cool! I've never had to use one for our three. Glad that it's all cleared up now. How great that Mark is great with Zachary.

jocie said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats! He is so beautiful. And you know I'm partial to the name Zachary. :)

Janet said...

He is precious! Enjoy everything, they grow up sooo fast!

Beccarigg said...

What a sweetheart and welcome to the world of motherhood! That first few months is a little crazy so don't worry about scheduling. I also wonder how my mom ever had 7 kids when sometimes I go crazy with 2. Guess I'm just glad they come one at a time! He is so cute and I love his little nursery! thanks for the update!

Crystal said...

he's so cute and tiny! I bet you guys are both so tired and loopy! haha. that's how we were until like yesterday...or wait I think we're still that way and Tristan's now 8 months old! haha. No jk it'll get better:) You'll be amazed how quickly this motherhood business comes like 2nd nature...well sorta. I think it's really meant to make us more appreciative of our own mothers!!

Marisa Jean said...

So glad to finally hear an update! Yay! The room turned out adorable. That dot on his face cracks me up.

So glad things are going well for you and that Zachary has added so much to your home! :)

Suz n' Johnny said...

Ahhh! What a cutie. Love the BYU onesie... :) Is that a foreshadowing?! ;) Isn't it a BLAST?!