Friday, September 18, 2009

Welcome to the world Zachary Clive Hales


Zachary Clive Hales was born yesterday at 6:14 p.m. Both mom and son were brave and strong and are doing well... enough.

Andrea went to her Dr. on Wednesday and she said that he asked if Andrea would like to have the baby induced on Friday. Andrea enthusiastically accepted. However, Thursday morning Andrea began to feel contractions around 4:30 a.m., but they only were about an hour apart. But, by 6:30 contractions were 30 seconds long and about 5-6 minutes apart.

We finally decided to leave to the hospital at 9:30 a.m., and after a brief stay at the triage Andrea was fully admitted at about 10:15 a.m.


After some unchartable contractions, Andrea got an epidural to work (only after three attempts it worked).

Now that Andrea was on drugs, we watched movies, played games, and took naps. We had to point out to her that she was having contractions.

Andrea’s Dr., James Roth, showed up at about 1:15 or so to break her water but he told us that he was going to be in his office in Park City, and did not know if he would make it back to deliver Andrea. Dr. Roth only has patients to visit in Park City every Thursday afternoon, so he can’t tell his patients to come back the next day.

At 6:00 p.m., the nurse comes in to check Andrea and she says she is ready to start pushing. She called Dr. Roth to see if he would be available, and he just happened to be at the hospital. His last appointment in Park City canceled, so he was able to make it back to St. Mark’s hospital. After 4 pushes, Zachary Clive Hales breached the surface of mortal life and took his first breath. He was 21 inches long and weighed 8 lbs 11 ounces.


At 9:00 p.m. Dad, me, was able to give him his first bath.


He is healthy and loves to sleep. Mama wishes he would wake up more to eat, but is glad he is doing well.

More pictures can be found here. (Check it often because more photos may be added).

23 comments:

Kristie said...

Congratulations!!! He is beautiful Andrea!!!

Monica said...

I have been thinking about you since yesterday - I am so excited for you guys! Glad everything went ok. Can't wait for more pictures! Congrats!

Melinders said...

Congratulations!! Glad to hear everything went well for you.

Marisa Jean said...

So glad to hear the story. He really is beautiful, and so big...that makes me laugh for some reason. Can't wait to meet him in person. Congratulations! :)

Tammy said...

Congrats Mama and baby and Dad! Sleep now because once you get home you won't see it for many years to come! And I must say.....thank heavens for drugs!!!

Janet said...

He is perfect! What an adorable little guy. I hope that you can feel better soon!

Unknown said...

Andrea--Congratulations! I wish I had known, we checked Jacob out of St. Mark's on Friday morning. I was there Friday night when your baby was born! But I was down in the NICU. Thank goodness Zachary didn't have to go there--the staff was fantastic, but a healthy baby is the best!

Unknown said...

Ethan was was the same weight and height! How funny! Congrats y'all!!! Welcome to the world, Zachary!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! :) And don't worry Andrea... he'll be waking up lots. But hopefully he's waking up enough that you're getting relief! :)

Kiersten Allred said...

Congratulations! What a good size little man. The bit about them having to tell you that you were having contractions made me laugh because the same happened to me. Epidurals are wonderful!

McKelle said...

SOOOOO happy for you! Brings tears to my eyes! Such a happy time! Glad you're both doing well! Enjoy this new blessed experience!

Sam and/or Monika said...

what a sweet and precious baby! i'm sure it was a treasured and unforgettable experience for you and mark. we are so happy for you and your growing family!

Melissa said...

Yahoo! Congrats! Good work! He looks wonderful! Enjoy him!

Michelle said...

Congratulations! Looks like you have a beautiful baby boy!

Beccarigg said...

Congrats on your beautiful son! And congrats on not being pregnant anymore! Isn't that the best feeling?

Anonymous said...

Look at Mark's smile in the first photo on your blog. You can't tell how proud he is or anything (he, he).

alexandra said...

what a cutie! congratulations!

Michele said...

Congratulations! He is adorable and I can't wait to meet him. I am so happy to hear that you are all doing well.

Kimber's Blog said...

Congrats Andrea. I am so happy for you and glad that you are doing well.

Hayley said...

Congratulations!
He looks like one healthy little guy!

Troy and Segi said...

Congratulations!!! He is a beauty

Adam and Sarah said...

Congratulations! He's a cutie! Love the name -- we almost named Landon that! :) And I hope you enjoyed St. Marks, I love it there. Especially their delicious drink they make after the baby is delivered! :) Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Suz n' Johnny said...

Congrats, Mama! Isn't it the BEST?!!!?! I love it. And...it gets better every day. Way to go---can't wait to see more pics. --Suzanne