Tuesday, April 21
Our friend took us to the airport in the afternoon. Our flight left at 5:00 pm. We had a very short layover in Denver. We arrived in San Antonio at 10:00 pm (central time). Our friend, Brent, picked us up. We had a nice tour of the area--because Brent got lost driving us home.
Why did Brent get lost? Because he (and his family) moved to San Antonio the week before Christmas and they haven't had any need to go to the airport since then.
Brent is married to my best girl friend, Karen. We've been best friends since 1999. Karen and Brent have four kids: twin girls (Wendi and Hailie), a wild young man (Ben), and a baby doll (Elizabeth). The kids were all asleep when we got "home"--after 11:00.
Wednesday, April 22
The girls were gone to school by the time Mark and I woke up. And Brent was to work HOURS before we woke up. After we finally got ready for the day, Karen took us downtown and tossed us out of the van at the Alamo.
What's that? Oh, we decided that we wanted to get on one of the river boat tours. It's just a little boat and it goes around the loop and up the man-made part. When we went to buy our tickets, we were pleasantly surprised that they were only $7.50 each. The cashier asked for our $15. Suddenly, he said, "Wait. It'll be $11.50." What! We got a discount--because we're good looking? I don't know. But, we sure didn't mind.
We went to the mall right on the River Walk after our boat tour. We bought tickets to go to the IMAX showing of "The Alamo." We had time to enjoy a snack before going to the movie. The acting was terrible--but it was quite educational. I honestly didn't remember learning much about the Alamo before, so I enjoyed it.
After "The Alamo" movie, we went BACK to the River Walk to find a restaurant. We found this great place (with decent prices) and enjoyed tamales, tacos, a little thing called "pollo rellano", and some absolutely delicious Mexican rice. If we could remember the name of it, we'd definitely recommend it to anyone. Oh yah, and our server was absolutely delightful.
Brent picked us up not long after that. We went home and had dinner with the family. The girls were so excited to see us. And--admittedly, we were excited to see them too!
Thursday, April 23
Karen took us to pick up our rental car first thing this morning. We got a rental from Alamo--a Chevy HHR. We had our pick of that or a "plain" sedan--I can't remember the make and model. But Mark DEFINITELY wanted the HHR. I had to snicker at him a bit, because he seemed a little excited over it.
We went out to SeaWorld. It was easy to find. I looked for over a week (and had Karen look) to find a coupon or a discount. Regular priced tickets are $55 for adults. The best I could find was a coupon to get adult tickets at the child's rate of $45 or 20% of by showing my SouthWest Rapid Rewards number. They gave us the Rapid Rewards discount--but when I looked at the receipt, it was actually for 25%! Woot! Considering we had to pay $15 just to park there, I was very pleased for the extra discount.
We tried to do everything there was to do at Sea World. We saw the shows. Mark rode the rides (I didn't--you know, "pregnant woman" status). We took lots of pictures.
My second favorite thing happened at the dolphin and Beluga whale show. It wasn't the show itself (which was a lot more acrobatics and diving than dolphins and Belugas) that I loved. It was the result of the park losing power for about 15 minutes. When the park suddenly came to a standstill, the dolphin trainers came out to the stands to talk to people.
After SeaWorld, we went back to Karen’s to find a recommendation for a restaurant. Debating and searching led us to the name of Augie’s Barbedwire Smokehouse. It turned out to be a GREAT place to eat. Sadly, they were out of ribs. But, the other stuff we got was soooooooooo good. In fact, Karen told us the next day that the creamed corn there was THE BEST creamed corn she has ever had in her life.
Friday, April 24
This was our 11-month anniversary! I LOVE YOU MARK!
Karen and the kids went home--but Mark and I thought we would try and have a gander at the Fiesta activities that were going on downtown. We drove around and around trying to find a decent parking space. We finally did--but I made us walk the wrong direction! Ha! Yah, we walked away from the party instead of toward the party. When we finally got to the party, we happened upon the parade. It was packed--but part of that is because the streets were pretty narrow.
Friday evening, we all (except Brent who had to go help someone move—oh the joys of being the Elder’s Quorum President) went to Bruce and Yaw’s house. I did the MPA with Bruce. I’ve heard for years how amazing Yaw’s cooking is, and I FINALLY had the chance of getting to taste it in San Antonio. This was the first time Mark met Bruce. It was a great evening.
Besides the food, one highlight of the visit included Ben going outside, suddenly becoming very mysterious (and quiet), and then being caught hosing himself down with water. We left him outside until he was practically dry—even though he really wanted to be in. (I’m pretty sure he only wanted to do what we didn’t want him to do.)
The other highlight was Bruce and Yaw showing us pictures of their “summer house” in Taiwan (where Yaw is from). There’s a long story about that, but trust me—it’s great.
Saturday, April 25
Sunday, April 26
We woke up at 4:00 am (central time) and headed to the airport. Brent packed us a bag of goodies and sandwiches for the plane. We got home to Salt Lake City at 10:00 am (mountain time)--just in time to get tidied up and head to church.
We had a great time in San Antonio. We had a blast with the kids. We had a blast spending time together. We got to help with a 5-month-old. We got to play games. We had great food. We took lots of pictures. We finally found me some black flat dress shoes that I like and felt justified in buying. We got to learn some new stuff about Texas. We got pretty decent deals on everything we did (the river tour, “The Alamo,” SeaWorld, our car rental, etc.). We got to renew and strengthen our friendships with Karen and Brent. Yup—it was a great trip!!!
P.S. If you want to see the rest of our pictures, they can be found by clicking here.
3 comments:
Sounds SO fun! Fun people. Fun food. Fun babymoon. Fun beluga whales.
I LOVE beluga whales and have since I was a kid. You've inspired me to post about them. :)
WOW! What a fun trip! You look so cute too.
So glad so you had a good time! I know it was much needed. I also love that you go to the temple for every outing. That's the last priority for a lot of people; it's refreshing to see you two love it so much.
Post a Comment