Anyway, so I carved my first pumpkin last night. Mark was shocked that it was my first one. He didn’t know that it was my first until I was well on my way of having it all gutted. I’ll be honest—it stinks. And, it’s pretty gross. But, I managed to gut it pretty well.
I wanted to make a monster, but not a “scary” monster. We just watched Monster’s, Inc. on Sunday, so Mike came to mind. I grabbed the DVD case and had a good look at him. Then I found circles of varying sizes so I could trace them: the almond extract lid, a spice bottle, a coaster, a plate, and a bowl. I traced the eye.Mark came over to see what I was doing. I was all nervous because when I told him it was my first, he reacted like I was a freak, and he boasted that he’s done nigh onto 30 pumpkins himself. (Don’t worry, he didn’t say any of this in any degrading way—I was just ultra nervous being in the presence of someone so expert. She failed to mention that I told her all of my pumpkins suck because I am not very good and have no artistic ability. ) He said a couple things about how hard the mouth might be—so I got more nervous.
I got the face drawn on. Mark mentioned—a few times—that I should have drawn it on with a pencil. Alas—my lack of knowledge showing through again. I had drawn it on with a marker so I could see it. Oh well.
Then I started carving with Mark hovering over me. He kept shifting around me so he could see better. That made me nervous too.Overall, I think I did a pretty fair job. Mark helped only when my hand got tired of sawing. He gave good advice. And I like it—I like my pumpkin.
(Mark was very concerned with the marker lines, so he insisted he clean them off. I taught him a trick I’ve learned somewhere along the way. I learned it about whiteboards and figured it might work with pumpkins too: color over the marker with a whiteboard marker and then erase both. It did indeed work and Mark was so impressed.)
17 comments:
Way to go! Your pumpkin looks awesome!!!! You did wonderful for your first time!
That's your first pumpkin?
Good Job. Mine looks like I'm in kindergarten. You've got talent!
Very nice first attempt my friend! Much better than most of mine, I've ever done. :)
By the way, I love that it's your first. You know, I love blogs because you learn things about your friends that you never knew!
wow! I like it a lot! way to be creative...instead of buying the stencils...like I always do! We haven't even gotten our pumpkins. what lame-os! I know...
Man! I can't wait to see YOUR 30th! It turned out great!! I've done so many and they still look as funny as my first!
Man, you did good job. Your pumpkin looks great. I really want to carve one this year and hopefully it will be as great as yours. I hope that you plan on putting it on your deck for all to see.
Happy Halloween.
Heather Nielsen
You are a professional in my eyes. What a great pumpkin carving of Mike. We are so excited to actually get to do one with our foreign exchange student from Thailand. She already thinks that we are crazy with all of our dressing up in costumes. It is so good to know that you are doing well. Hope to hear from you soon. (Jill Warner Cooper, from Castle Dale now residing in Springfield, MO.)
Cute Pumpkin!! It turned out good I think.
Wow, that looks great! Creative too! Way to be so smart.
Good job on the pumpkin...it totally looks like Mike!!
Hailie and Wendi were highly impressed, as am I. Ben thinks your pumpkin looks "hungry". Just so you know. ;) Did you keep any pumpkin seeds to bake?
How on earth does one get to be a grown woman who has never carved a pumpkin?!?!?! Amazing. Your pumpkin looks great! I would be impressed even if you were a seasoned veteran.
Dude - you're a natural. Who knew?
I would have never known you were a novice. Way to go!
Nice job on the 1st pumpkin. I want you to carve an image of yourself next year....
That is a great pumpkin - and I can't believe it's your first.
Wow! You did a fantastic job! I have been carving pumpkins all my life and they have never turned out that good. I love it!!
Post a Comment