Monday, August 04, 2008

Taking a Chance

On Friday, Mark and I decided to take a chance. We thought we would go camping--without reservations.

Here's the low-down. Apparently, making a reservation at a campground is almost a necessity. We didn't know this. What we did know is that when you make a reservation, it has to be for two days. We didn't want to camp two nights because we wanted to be home for church on Sunday. Hence, taking a chance.

We drove past Park City, into Oakley, and then up Weber Canyon. Our destination was Smith and Morehouse Reservoir. There is a campground on the north side and the south side of the reservoir.

We checked out the north campground first. Smith & Morehouse has 34 spots--all 34 were reserved and/or occupied. Then we checked out the south campground. Ledgefork has 73 spots--all but 1 were reserved and/or occupied. We just happened to get there at the right time.

In fact, when the camp hosts came around to get our money, they told us the campers had just up and left--suddenly. They told us that if we had got there five minutes earlier, the campers might have still been there. If we had got there five minutes later, someone else would have snatched up that spot. It was destiny.

The previous campers had left us a stack of wood--and a burning fire. Well, smoldering. But, the flames lit up without any persuasion. I'm glad we didn't have to go wood hunting. Or pay for it (since the camp hosts have wood for $6). There was just enough for our little fire for the night and the next morning--and plenty enough for us to play around in. Only you can prevent forest fires!

We quickly set up our tent so we could fix dinner and play games. While we were setting up our tent, our neighbor came over bearing four foil dinners. She said, "We made extra foil dinners, would you like one, or two?" We were surprised, and very grateful. We took one each. Mark tossed them in the fire and we continued putting our tent up.

I taught Mark how to put up our tent. He likes it. And, it's plenty big for us to grow with--whenever that happens.

Too many minutes later, we attended to our free meals--only to find them charred beyond all recognition. I tried to eat mine, but it was no use. Oh well.... :-D heheheheheh..........

Good thing we had our planned dinner to fill our bellies: steaks and jello.

We played Scrabble and Mark (as usual) kicked my behind. We played Think-it - Link-it (a word game). We roasted marshmallows and had smores. And, we goggled at the expanse of beautiful stars blanketing our campground. The sky was stunning. Mark said he saw an asteroid. Sweet!

The next morning, we had cereal and graham crackers for breakfast. Then we took down the tent and played more games. We played one of the fastest games of War known to man--perhaps three minutes. I won. Then we played a second game of War that was also quick. I won that one too.

We also just sat and talked as we poked at our little fire. It was so relaxing. *sigh* (Part of our conversation was about what we could do--like walk down by the lake. But, we were too lazy. Ha!)

Mark picked me some pretty flowers. Probably just as sweet as the flowers themselves, was Mark’s comment, “I picked these for you. [grin] Don’t worry—you don’t have to keep them.” I love flowers—but I think they would have quickly died—even on the short ride home. So, instead of taking them home with us, I just took this picture. Mark’s the best! I am one lucky woman.

We ate hot dogs and plums for lunch before heading down the mountain.

It was a great break from routine--and it was good to get all smelly. Mark's a good camping buddy. And, I'm so glad we took that chance! Woohoo!!!!

14 comments:

Kristie said...

Looks like an awesome time! Makes me want to go camping.

Ginger said...

You guys are cute.

Mercedes said...

Vigilantes. I think that you mean BACA are vigilantes.

I can support that. ;)

Unknown said...

What a nice weekend! I love camping and sitting around the fire is the best part! I'm glad you're so happy!

And I was gonna point out the vigilante thing but she beat me too it!

Anonymous said...

I love when things work out that way! How fun.

Mac! said...

I wasn't sure about what was on the tin foil until you explained. But that was nice of your neighbors to give you some though.

Marisa Jean said...

I still can't believe you landed that spot. And don't worry about the tinfoil dinner, EVERYONE either burns or undercooks tinfoil dinners because you can't tell what temperature they are.

Janet said...

How fun! It sounds like you had an awesome time. I love camping, and your pics are too cute.

Aimee said...

That is one thing that took awhile to get used to after moving to the city...making an appointment to camp six months in advance, CRAZY!

Good thing you got there when you did--and good thing you brought something else for dinner! ;)

Kristin said...

What a fun weekend. We love to go camping, it just to hot here now. We will have to wait until it cools off.

Monica said...

Yea - we tried that campground last month and it was totally packed! You were lucky. And it looks like you had a great time!

Sherene said...

Looks like so much fun, we are camping in a few weeks in VT. Now, I can't wait!

Nava_jo said...

Isn't camping the greatest! Its fun to be outside. I love tin foil dinners, next time put them in the Smoldering coals instead of an open flame :)

Mark said...

They were in the coals, I just kept them there too long