Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I Am Not a Hypochondriac

I hiked Mt. Timanogos on July 25. My knees killed on the way down the mountain, especially my left knee. It turns out I really do have something wrong with my knees.

I went to the doctor on Friday (exactly two weeks from the hike) and described everything that happened, described how my knees were before, and since the hike.

He thinks that I have PFP (patello-femoral pain). My patella is not in the right place (centered), and therefore, it is causing me some pain. (Though it is not as extreme as pictured above, that is just to show the concept.) I'm going to go to physical therapy to see if I can learn how to correct it.

He told me that my vastus medialis is either not triggering when it's supposed to and/or it is too weak compared to the other three of my quadriceps. The vastus medialis is the muscle that holds the patella in the center of the knee.

He told me that this condition is often found in women because their legs don't go straight down, they go down at an angle. This angle is because of how our pelvis spreads out when we hit puberty.

Any way, yah...so, it wasn't my imagination that something was wrong. And, I'm glad it's not worse than this.

6 comments:

Janet said...

I'm glad that you went to the Dr. and found out what was wrong! Good job on the hike too!

Nikki said...

That stinks but I'm glad it's not any worse. Sometimes I get knee pain.. it comes and goes.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I've had some pain in my left knee. It came on rather suddenly, but not after any sort of physical exertion... maybe I should go to the doctor. I hope yours heals!

Nava_jo said...

Good luck with the knee. You know I had surgery on knee and they want to do the other. But the one that had surgery gives me more problems then the one I didn't have surgery on. I wish I was given the option of physical therapy. HOpe things work out!!

Monica said...

That is not fun. Sounds like the same things I have - of course I can't remember a single medical term, but it sounds the same. Hopefully it gets better than worse. I simply don't trust my knees anymore, and hiking is out of the question. (good excuse atleast)

Unknown said...

Yuck! My knees hurt up and down the stairs too. I haven't dared go to the Dr. I figured it was just because I was fat! (It probably is.) I hope physical therapy helps! Good luck!