While we were in Primary Children's waiting for an operating room to get Zachary casted, Mark got a phone call. A "terrible" phone call. It was the stake executive secretary calling to get Mark and me to meet with the stake president the next morning. We both knew what it was regarding.
So, we showed up bright and early (9:00 am) with Zachary who was very much in pain and very new and uncomfortable in his cast.
First President Layton took Mark in. Then they called me in with the other two stake presidency counselors. President Layton said, "You probably know what this is about."
I think I said, "Ah man!" But I smiled.
I feel very blessed to be married to a man who is worthy and willing to take this calling. There is no way we wanted it, but it's right.
So, for three weeks, Mark lied to a lot of people. Why? Because seriously, so many people in our ward (and stake) have been trying to find out who the new bishop was going to be. "The List" for our ward was pretty short, so Mark got the question a lot.
We told our family about the calling the same night.
Mark's mom flew into town for the occasion. My parents and little sister came up. Other people that were able to attend that special sacrament meeting included Mark's uncle and wife, Mark's sister and her kids, my brother and his family, and a couple friends.
I don't think anyone in the ward was really surprised. I do think many people in the ward are very happy.
Mark got two new counselors: Jeff Niekamp and Marlin Baer. Brother Baer has been (and continues to be until a replacement is called) the Young Men's president.
After the family all left Sunday night, Mark got his first real "bishop" call: there's been a death in the ward. So, Mark has a funeral to do on Saturday. And on Monday night he got another big-deal call. Yes, Mark is fully and officially the BISHOP.
There are a few people who have said "sorry" or sent their condolences to me. But, I'm not sad or upset or anything. This will be a good thing for our ward and this will be a good thing for Mark. I have felt only good about it. The only thing is this means we'll be here in the condo a little bit longer than we had expected.
But, I have felt purely grateful for Mark. I'm so glad to be a member of this church.
8 comments:
Fantastic news! You guys are just full of good news these days. :) I am sure he will do a fantastic job.
I still haven't gotten over that my little brother is big enough to be a Bishop. I guess that makes me pretty old! But...I'm sure you will make an awesome Bishop's wife!
I love this. We love you both, and three, soon to be four of you.
I guess the Lord puts roadblocks in your way when you are supposed to stay put. I think Mark will be a wonderful Bishop and a great asset to your ward. Congratulations! :)
Congrats you guys! That is crazy and awesome all at the same time! But what an enormous blessing and life changing experience it'll all be! You are my hero Andrea! And congrats on the new little one on it's way! how exciting! I'm still sad for your cute little Zachary. Hope he is feeling well and hope it'll all be better soon!
Wow...that is a lot to take in...your babies legs are broke....prego again...and your husband is now a bishop....crazy! ....but if anyone can handle it, you can! Congrats on everything. Your life will be blessed for it!
you know what they say...they find the best woman in the ward and call her husband! You're an awesome support- and you can be the mother of the ward so the Relief Society President doesn't have to! nah! enjoy the blessings cuz it won't last forever!
Wow! You are definitely the caliber to be a Bishop's wife. I'm excited for you in the blessings that will be poured upon you and your family. This is definitely a time in your life where you will fully know the meaning of a life of consecration. Especially in sharing your husband with EVERYONE! Much love to you. Take care.
Post a Comment