I took lotion to help with the itching. I took soft jersey pants and clean socks. I took pain medicine. I took his teddy bear. I took a soft baby blanket.
As the nurse was sawing the cast, Zachary was frightened. He was trying to get away, but he wasn't crying. The nurse said most children cry.
We will go back to see the doctor in three months.
As soon as we got him home we put in him the bathtub. We were glad to finally bathe him. And, we also did it to help with the itchiness. He sure smelled better afterward.
We originally put him in sitting up. That hurt. And it really hurt when he suddenly moved his right leg (mind you, this was the injured leg) backward! It looked so painful. He screamed. I jumped.
So then we tried laying him down in the tub. He hasn’t really been sitting and he hasn’t really been lying down for almost six weeks. Both positions were obviously painful. But, he finally calmed down after a while. And then he finally started enjoying the tub. He even enjoyed kicking and splashing again. That sure made me a happy mama.
Zachary was super happy when Mark helped him walk. That made me a happy mama as well.
Friday he could be found standing up to our couches or to the kitchen chairs. I turned and looked one time and he had climbed up on the rocking chair and was rocking back and forth—with a huge smile spread across his face!
Yes, he is definitely moving a lot. I'm surprised and pleased.
However, he is super, ultra, mega grouchy. My hypothesis is that he wants to be doing everything he was doing before the cast and he doesn't have the strength and it HURTS. His joints aren't quite as limber as before, and they hurt. He really has been hard to deal with because he is so frustrated. I hope this grouchy phase doesn't last too long. I miss my happy boy.
5 comments:
I am glad that the whole thing went well for you and your little family Andrea! I hope that the recovery peroid is short and that Zachary is back to his happy, active self very soon. :)
Thanks for the update. What a trooper, Zachary, of course....mama too.
Poor little guy- he sounds like he's hanging in there. I'm so glad the cast is finally off- I can only imagine how horrible that must've been and you still have a lot to go through- we'll continue to pray for you all. Hope you and your hubby are ok too!
Seeing him try and move around was quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever witnessed. :( Here's to a quick recovery!
What a tough little boy! I can only imagine how worried you must have been through all of this, but it sounds like your little champ is going to do just fine. You both will be stronger because of this!
Post a Comment