Just kidding. Here is a true story about a box of peaches and a day of work!

Saturday morning, I made Mark take me to the Farmer's Market downtown to see what we could see. I wanted some good, homegrown fruit for our lunches. (We've been eating a lot lately. It's good for you, you know.) I wanted some peaches. Mark wanted some plums. So, we got some of each.
Then we thought, "Let's get some fruit to dry." We bought a dehydrator with our wedding-present-gift-cards last year and haven't used it yet.
Well, as we were looking for the best deal, we happened up on this one particular stand and we just happened to be there when the guy said, "Anyone want a box of peaches for $5?" Mark immediately jumped on the chance. They were tasty peaches for sure--but they were $5 because they were the not-so-pretty peaches. Some were bruised, some were a little bit green still, and the rest were "problem peaches" simply because they were all cling-to-the-pit. But $5? Heck yes!

So, after we did the rest of our shopping (and after I took a nap), we got to work. We ended up drying five racks of peaches (some of which got burnt--probably because I sliced it too thin).

We made two peach pies worth of peach pie guts. One pie's worth we put in our freezer for a future pie. The other pie's worth--we made a pie!

And, we tried to make some peach leather. However, with the leather…well, our oven doesn't go low enough. It only goes down to 170. We cracked it open wide, but it still got too crisp. So, instead of peach leather, now we have a bag of peach chips. Still yummy though.

What can I say? We’re food amateurs when it comes to certain things (fruit leather and fruit drying being two of them).
It was a LOT of work. Especially since the peaches were cling-to-the-pit. But, for $5--I think it was worth it.
1 comment:
$5 is a killer deal! I've never had peach chips before--maybe you stumbled upon something revolutionary.
Post a Comment