Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cloth Diapers

I am seriously considering using cloth diapers when this little one gets here. I hadn't really thought about it at all, until one day, right after I found out we were expecting, my old roommate posted about cloth diapers on her blog. Since then, it's pretty much what I've been keeping on the back burner.

Are there any of you out there that use(d) cloth diapers? If yes, I would love to have an email conversation with you. Or, you can post for all our zillions (maybe that is an exaggeration) of readers to read.

My roommie didn't answer all of my questions--but that's because I didn't ask them (it was still a secret). So, now I want answers.

Mark's initial reaction was just what the first commenter said: he wasn't going to change cloth diapers. I said, "The same thing is going to be in cloth diapers as in disposable: pee and poo." Mark said, "You have to wash them." I said, "That's fine."

The main reason I am considering this is the cost savings. Not because I'm a tree hugger. In fact, I'm really not a tree hugger. I rarely recycle and I don't feel guilty about throwing things away. I just want to save money and I figure this is a good way to do it. Not to mention, if I invest in good ones now, we can use them for the next kid(s).

16 comments:

lrbodine said...

I've had some friends use them and although they cost a lot upfront to get the nice, good quality cloth diapers... they are cheaper in the long run. I looked into it but as soon as my hubby said he would not help change any cloth diapers, I dropped that idea. :)

Monica said...

I haven't known anyone - sorry. I do know that it may have the same stuff in it as the diapers - but those can be wrapped up and thrown out. Maybe you could look into the diaper-free movement!

I'm totally joking but there really are people out there that do it - crazy!

Kristie said...

I used them for Weston! Feel free to email me and I would love to answer your questions!!!! :)

Ticklemedana said...

Go to my friend Nikki's page (it's listed under Nikki and Danny) I know she has used them and knows lots of people who use them. Leave her a comment and I know she would be happy to answer your questions.

Sean, Jessi and Jaydn Coletti said...

Two words - cloth toilet paper. http://living.wallypop.net/wipes.html

Ginger said...

I guess if you're a real tree hugger and have lots of extra time on your hands then cloth diapers might be a fun adventure. I figure all our trash is just going to burn up during the second coming anyway, so why worry? (I'm kidding).

Beccarigg said...

I've never used cloth diapers and I don't think I ever could. I'm a little squeamish when it comes to pee and poo anyway. Once Teya stepped in poo with her socks on (our dog had an accident) and I just threw the socks away because it just seemed too gross to wash them. If I could get past the ick factor of washing poopy diapers (as opposed to just throwing them away) it would be rad to save money. Diapers are expensive!!

Michelle said...

My friend, in Michigan, is debating the same question. She totally wants to use cloth diapers. She mentioned some device that you hook up to the toilet somehow and it works like a shower and you just rinse the mess away! Good Luck!!!

Kimber's Blog said...

What!!! if any reason to use cloth diapers it should be the enviornment. You should save the planet. That should be your first concern. YOu should feel guilty about not recycling.

Shame on you. Heather

alexandra said...

A friend of mine did the math on this for the DC area and discovered that, adding in the cost of the diaper service for the cloth diapers, the price was equal. She went ahead with cloth for environmental reasons. I think that if you calculate in the value of your time and the yuckiness of the endeavour and the increased discomfort to your baby's bottom (rashes and so forth are way more common and severe), you may change your mind, since the enviro factor is not important to you.

I just read a blog post about having to change cloth diapers (and the big pails of clorox she had to hide around the house to soak all the gross diapers in) and felt so grateful that there are disposable. They make life so much better. I just dont want to see you suffer!

alexandra said...

I just read the link you posted about the lady who likes cloth and I get the sense that she likes them bc they are cuter with the expensive little covers. They really are worse for your baby's bum.

Don't feel bad for not recycling. It uses up more energy and money to recycle than it does to create.

Marisa Jean said...

I support cloth diapers. I think they are better for your kids health overall. I have considered using them, but I doubt it will happen. My gag reflex is BAD, so I know I'd puke. Then I'd have to clean up poo AND vomit, and who wants to do that?

I do have friends who have used them and loved them! Good luck.

Ann said...

Wow. I'm surprised by some of the comments so far. The ideas people have about cloth diapers still today are irrelevant for today's cloth diapers. Maybe our mothers didn't have it so great, but A LOT has changed!

For me, the pros outweigh the cons. Sorry, but whoever said that they were worse for Baby's bum has been given some incorrect info. Do you have any idea how many chemicals are in disposable diapers? And you want those sitting against your baby's skin (their most delicate parts) 24 hours a day? To me, that's the yuck factor. Poop is natural (stinky, but natural). Chemicals against my baby's skin are not.

If you use a diaper service, it's probably equal to buying disposables. But I don't understand the people who use diaper services. It adds 2-3 loads of laundry to my week (not a big deal when we're talking about a family of 6 (almost 7) anyway). And spraying off the diapers in the toilet takes all of an extra 30 seconds. And yes, I would highly recommend getting a diaper sprayer. It's nothing fancy. You know the sprayer attached to your kitchen sink? It's just one of those attached to your toilet. Makes the job a cinch.

Oh, and whoever's sticking their diapers in bleach.....yuck! Who does that? Seriously.

Here's my diaper regimen....
1)change diaper. If poopy, wet 2 baby washcloths (cheap cloth wipes) and wipe baby's bum. Then spray off diaper and wipes in toilet. Then dump into diaper pail (a garbage can w/a lid and a waterproof liner in it). If wet, just dump in the pail.
2)Every 2-3 days, take liner out of pail and dump into washing machine along w/liner (never having to touch dirty diapers at all).
3)Run wash, hang dry (or you can put them in the dryer, but they won't last quite as long that way).

Does that really sound like it takes that much extra time? It really isn't a big deal.

Disposables have their place. I use them at night a lot because the nighttime ones can hold a lot of pee. I also use them if we're going to be gone all day (or if we go on a trip).

(I'm Emily's sister, by the way, although maybe she doesn't want me admitting that after this novel of a post.) :)

Nikki said...

Thank you for your email. I will put together a post over the next few days or so about the pros and cons of cloth diapering. It's actually quite easy and not too repulsive. If you don't use a diapering service you will save thousands. There's an upfront investment. But I'll try to detail all of that in my post. And congrats on your pregnancy!

Amberlynn said...

This is Amberlynn, Shannon's friend. You'll be surprised at how passionate people can get in their pro or con cloth diaper opinions! Crazy.

Anyway, I started a comment here, and had so much to say that I just turned it into my own blog post. Sorry to make you link for my response, but I hope the info helps.

http://livingyellow.blogspot.com/2009/03/another-cloth-diapering-post.html

Hannah S said...

I don't use them but was engaged in several conversations about them while in Colorado a week or so ago.
My sister was debating b/w the folded kind (?) bcse they are so much cheaper. But my best friend suggested not using them bcse of the pain they are. She uses bumgenius. It's not worth spending the extra and getting the fancy designer ones, so I've heard.
Look on www.etsy.com TONS of people sell them and cute covers for them.
There are also forums and places that specifically trade/sell them for new/used.
Good luck!Way to think ahead!