Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol - Top 11

I love American Idol. I've watched it pretty regularly for the last six years. Not every night. And not even enough that I always have all the contestants memorized. But, it's one show that I enjoy watching. I've been making Mark watch it with me this season too. Let me give you a rundown of some of my thoughts about last night (Top 11, Grand Ole Opry Night).

Bad
Scott MacIntyre: He sang Martina McBride's "Wild Angels." I was quite disappointed with this song. Actually, the whole way through it, I kept thinking how it sounded so much like a sitcom opening song. You know, like "Full House" or "Cheers" or "Perfect Strangers." It was quite a let-down.

Lil Rounds: She sang Martina McBride's "Independence Day." Eh...... blech. Not only was I really not impressed with her song, but her dress was really distracting to me. She kept telling everyone how she was trying to step out of her R&B, but--she didn't. She couldn't pull Martina off. Kind of sad, because I like Lil. But, she's pretty much only got one style of singing: R&B.

Adam Lambert: He sang Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire." I WAS SCARED OUT OF MY MIND! I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares. This was the craziest version of any country song I've ever heard in my life. It was icky! I kept shaking my hands like something got stuck to them. Simon said that it was "indulgent" and that it sounded like Nine Inch Nails. I agree! SCARY!!!!!!

Decent
Alexis Grace: She sang Dolly Parton's "Jolene." I was quite unimpressed. I missed my Dolly. I mean, it wasn't the worst girl song of the night (Lil), but it was not the best either.

Matt Giraud: He sang Carrie Underwood's "So Small." The judges liked him too--but I wasn't impressed. Just...okay.

Danny Gokey: He sang Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel." The judges thought he did really well. But, I wasn't mega impressed. In fact, I was missing Carrie.

Good
Megan Joy Corkrey: She sang Patsy Cline's "Walking After Midnight." I thought she did well. But, it sounded kind of fake. It was strange somehow. Apparently she's battling the flu right now. But, still, it just sounded different. Mark claims to have never heard the song before. But, I knew it.

Michael Sarver: He sang Garth Brooks' "Ain't Going Down 'Til the Sun Comes Up." He did it well. It wasn't that amazing. But, it was fun. It wasn't Garth-fun. But, nonetheless, he did it country. And, as he said, "Country is supposed to be fun."

Awesome
Allison Iraheta: She sang Patty Loveless' "Blame It on Your Heart." I thought she did very well. In fact, she was my third favorite of the night. I enjoyed it, I had fun, and she hit it. At least, that's my opinion.

Anoop Desai: He sang Elvis Presley's "Always on My Mind." WOW! I usually can't stand Anoop. There's just something about him that bugs me. But, last night, I couldn't hate him at all. I loved him. This was my second favorite song of the night. Mark was just as impressed as I was. Wow. He did very, very well.

Kris Allen: He sang Garth Brooks' "To Make You Feel My Love." WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This song was killer awesome! I mean, WHOAH! Both Mark and I looked at each other and were just blown away. I love Garth's version, but Kris did some good stuff to this song. I mean, I would buy it for sure.

Here is Kris' song before it is blocked by Fox:



-------
Update: Alexis Grace was kicked off. I'm kind of sad. I actually liked her a lot. But, she did choose a song/arrangement that didn't work for her. And now the weird thing is that there are THREE women to SEVEN men left on the show. I've never seen that in any other season.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think You got the best and the worst right on! I liked Matt G. and Danny's (I kept thinking of him losing his wife and choosing that song to sing so I think it made it more touching) performances though. I'd move them to the good and put Megan's performance in just the okay list.

Troy and Segi said...

I love american idol. I love Anoop and Danny. I totally agree with the worst of the night, usually Lil' does really well but she struggled.

Crystal said...

I actually missed it last night...so reading your re-cap made me have to look it up online. That Adam guy was HILARIOUS! Definitely a nine inch nails type of thing. It was way scary. Ha ha. I had to laugh though, hearing your take on it. Heehee. For some reason I like Anoop...but I think it's more I feel sorry for him. My favorite is Danny. But I also like Kris.

Nikki said...

You know... I was really surprised with what I liked... I even tried really hard not to like it, but found myself rewatching it over and over again and finally had to admit that I not only like it, I love it. Yup, Adam Lambert was so vocally interesting I'm thinking of buying his song off i-tunes. I had no idea I even liked that genre!.. maybe I don't... why the heck do I like him? I don't know yet, but I really do.

But you were right on about Lil': disappointing.

Marisa Jean said...

I only watched the first season of American Idol, with Kelly Clarkson.

I did have nightmares from "Ring of Fire." YIKES! I'm sad that the video is down...wish I could see "To Make You Feel My Love." :( I love that song!

Ginger said...

There is a lot I could say about this but I will try to keep it short. Nathan and I could pretty much host our own post-Idol show every week. Sarver and Scott need to go, and soon. Scott is starting to remind me of a bad impression of that cheesy lds group, Afterglow. Sarver is a nice guy, but definitely not the best singer in the bunch. We think the top four should be: Danny, Anoop (we LOVE ANOOP!), Kris, and Adam. Even though Adam's music is not really my thing I am fascinated. And what about Matt Giraud you say? Sorry, I don't love him and I don't get the hype. He's got freaky vibrato. Oh, and P.S., the guys are kicking the girls' trash this season!

Hannah S said...

Wow. I don't really agree....perhaps w/that week but in general. We LOVE Danny the most. And I think Lil has one of the strongest voices this year. But she is nothing new either. I think Matt and Scott need to be booted in the next two weeks.

Hannah S said...

I didn't mean Matt.....I meant Michael needed to be kicked off.