Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Our 100th Post

This is our 100th post. So, we're each going to write 100 things that we love about each other.

HAHAHAH! Just kidding. We won't torture you like that.

But, we did want to share some more personal information - stuff about “us” that isn't yet public knowledge. Mark just noted that we just missed our 100th day of marriage a couple weeks ago - and it would have been cool to have this post then. But, oh well!

Our Daily Traditions


Andrea

We play SlugBug - religiously. I almost always win - because I make Mark drive everywhere. Therefore, he is more distracted watching the road while I have time to scan the landscape. We've made a rule that the VW dealership in Sandy is off-limits. Also, the old Beetles are worth two "slugs" and the new ones are only worth one. Our "slugs" are gentle--we don't really punch each other.







Mark

We also play a license plates game. We started out trying to be the first to identify license plates from states outside Utah. Eventually it has morphed into a point system: 1 point for states from the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean; 2 points for states between the Rocky Mountains and the Mississippi River; and 3 points for states from East of the Mississippi. I then said 5 points for a plate from Mexico or Canada; 100 points for European license plate; and 1,000,000 for American Samoa (see previous post). Andrea That’s why I was so stinking excited about seeing it on Saturday!





Andrea

“What did you like about today?” That’s what we ask each other every night after the lights are out. Usually Mark asks me first – but sometimes I ask him first. Mark started this tradition the day after we got married. It’s one of my favorite things each day. It actually calms me down and gets me in a really good place. It also makes me happy to be part of Mark’s happiness.







Mark

While driving home from Ellensburg in June, I came up with a new car game: Services. When you pass through a town, you have to be the first to identify the local services. You have to find 5 different fast food restaurants, 5 different hotels, and 5 different gas/services stations. We mostly played it driving through Boise, Idaho. Andrea But it’s a good, tough game. You should try it.







Andrea

We hold hands when we pray. We don’t hold hands with guests when they come – just with each other. They can hold hands if they want. Simply put, it is so nice to pray together, whether it is our morning prayer, over a meal, an evening prayer, or about something we have been seeking guidance.








Mark

We also kiss after we pray. I like that. That started soon after we started eating together when we were dating.












Andrea

Mark cooks me breakfast almost every morning. Since we get up at the same time, and since I take longer to get ready – Mark just takes care of me by getting me something to eat while I’m still fixing my hair. Sometimes it’s really extravagant, and sometimes it’s really simple. I love all of it. I know – I TOTALLY lucked out. But this is also why I try to cook something nice for him Saturday mornings.

14 comments:

Janet said...

That is so sweet. I'm glad you are so happy, you deserve it.

Kristie said...

Happy 100! Thanks for sharing the details!!! :) I enjoyed it!

Hannah S said...

OMG! You guys are so stinking cute together!!! You ARE so blessed to have each other. I hope you can keep up those traditions!

Marisa Jean said...

You two have way too much fun together. I think my favorite part of this post is the excellent photo for prayer. High Quality. Jonathan and I hit each other for out of state vehicles. That's our driving tradition.

jlbunting.com said...

Hey Andrea, my mom was looking at your wedding pictures and she saw Jared and Karen. Is she Mark's sister? Jared is from my home ward. I remember them being in the ward when I was younger. If you talk to them tell them Johanna Anderson said hi.
Becky

McKelle said...

Andrea it's so good to hear from you! I must admit I've dropped in on you a few times and was too shy to leave you a message. You and your hubby are sooo cute!! I love that you play slug bug. Earlier this year Josh and I made up a game called Scion Slap cause it seems like they are everywhere. It only lasted about a month cause Josh could never tell the scions from the honda elements and he would get frustrated so we called it off. I'm glad you're doing so well!!

Brooke said...

I love, love, love that post! I'm not married but me and Bryn have little routines like that and I love it. Like at night she'll say can we have a prayer? We pray.. Can we have a kiss? We kiss.. Can we have a hug? We hug.. Little things like that are the best!

Troy and Segi said...

I love playing slugbug especially when I am really mad at Troy. Its good to hear that you two have alot of fun together.

Unknown said...

Can I just say how much I love you both?! I don't even need to meet you, Mark! Thanks for taking such good care of Andrea. Andrea, thanks for being such a good example!

The car games sound like a blast, but even distracted, James would win that one hands down. Sometime my eye sight can really put a damper on good, clean fun! lol!

Aimee said...

This post was a great idea! Happy one hundred!

Lisabella said...

Fun ideas! I like the "What did you like about today?" ritual at night. Sounds like a great way to end the day--with happy thoughts (Mary Poppins or Sound of Music or Julie Andrews-like music in background)

Goldthorpe Family! said...

License plate games are SO fun! Brent's favorites to point out are the ones that are like, "985 LBS".

Nava_jo said...

Loved this post. Slug Bug is Endless, always fun, we play the plate game too. And Joseph and I have always done, "what was your favorite part of the day?" :) I'm glad you two are so happy!

Peggy said...

I LOVE your blog! It's so interesting and informative. I've decided that my first impressions of you two...that you are wonderful is true. Thanks for everything you've done for me. See you in a few weeks.