Monday, September 29, 2008

Birthday Weekend

So, Saturday was my birthday and we planned a motorcycle trip to Monticello, Utah, to attend the LDS temple there. The trip was great. Here is a quick summary:

Thursday, September 25: We left West Valley at about 5:00 and drove to Spanish Fork for our first stop. We had dinner at The Little Acorn, at the mouth of the canyon. We then drove to Ferron.

Friday, September 26: We left Ferron, along with Andrea's parents and sister, McKayla.


Since McKayla was cramped on the back of my bike (Andrea's brother's bike), we made a lot of stops at rest areas or view points.


We made a brief stop at Arches National Park, but did not go past the visitor's center.


At the visitor's center we watched a video of the Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. After the video ended, I had to do a little performance on the stage.


We then drove a few miles into Moab for lunch. After Moab, we made a stop at "Hole in the Rock." I decided not to use their bathroom.


We finally arrived in Monticello and rushed over to the temple to make the 5:00 session.


Saturday, September 27 (My Birthday): That morning outside the hotel we saw wild turkeys.


We decided to take another path back to Ferron, so we took off and went towards Blanding and then onto Hanksville. We passed some beautiful canyons, some Native American ruins, and Lake Powell.


Here is a picture of me and Andrea's parents riding.


And a few other random pictures:




It was a beautiful ride and a more pictures can be seen here.

Sunday, September 28: We went to church in Ferron again. We have spent more September Sundays in Ferron then in our home ward. They didn't even recognize us as visitors--we said the open and closing prayers.

We then drove back to WVC. Spanish Fork Canyon was cold, but we missed the rainstorm. Thank goodness.

Well, that was our trip. It was a great time. Thanks to Jarom for letting us trade his bike for our truck for a few days.

9 comments:

Sherene said...

What a great trip, it was great to see a picture of Lake Powell. ;)

Elaine said...

Wow! I didn't realize you made so many stops. I still want to do a Southern Utah trip with my kids. And David has been promising to take me to Lake Powell since before we got married. Hmmm...it's been 14+ years and we still haven't made it. I'm so glad you had a fun time!

Goldthorpe Family! said...

Brent wants to build an outhouse like that next to some popular hiking trail. He thinks it would be hilarious, as do I.

Billie and Brian Taggart said...

Happy birthday Mark! Remember how you ride a motorcycle?! CRAZY! For your birthday I just have one thing to say....FLAVOR FLAVE!!!! he he he

Nikki said...

Yeah, you're pretty much the coolest couple I know. When are we gonna get together???

McKelle said...

Looks like a fun trip! I read your old post of how you and Mark met and it's really cute! Sounds like you guys were made for each other!

Kaye and Jared said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!

Hannah S said...

How fun! We always stop at hole in the rock on our way to Lake P. Andrea, I didn't know your parents rode too! What a fun weekend!!!

Marisa Jean said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like tons of fun. I love the Little Acorn. Mmmm....good food.