Monday, June 16, 2008

So it begins

So, it is finally time to tell the tale of our wedding day. The day began at the butt-crack of dawn for Andrea, and a little past the butt-crack for me. Andrea's sister-in-law, Shirlee, came over at 6:00 am to help Andrea do her hair. I arrived, dressed in my new suit and pink tie (ok--I kept the pink tie off until we got into the temple) and picked Andrea up. She looked so beautiful and happy. We drove to Manti, Utah, which is about 2 hours south of Salt Lake City. The whole time I was thinking, "When I drive back, I will be married. Oh, Crap!!! What am I getting myself into." Just kidding.

When we got to Manti, Andrea said, "Can I have some donuts?" I mentioned that we can eat breakfast inside the temple, but she declined and graciously asserted that she wanted donuts from the convenience store down the road. As we passed the temple to get the donuts, Andrea saw her parents driving up the hill, towing their trailer, and called them to let them know that we had arrived but that we were getting some food. Soon my order for donuts and milk tripled.

We arrived and the temple workers were happy and friendly. We filled out the paper to legalize our union (unlike those recent marriages in California) and record it on the records of the church. We were to be the 11th marriage for the day, which was great because that is my favorite number. (Why, because I am not #1 once, I am #1 twice.)

Skipping many sacred (not scared as I previously posted) details, we were eventually sealed together for time and all eternity as husband and wife. It was great to have so many friends and family in the sealing room with us. It was a day that we both had waited and waited and waited for many, many, many years.

As Andrea was pampered in the bride's room with the assistance of several women and her mother, I was left to the men's restroom to change. I had to plug in my razor inches from the floor, next to the trash bin, and shave amongst the aroma of yesterday's dinner.

We finally met up again and proceeded to promenade out of the doors to our awaiting crowds. However, our photographer was not there. We had confirmed with them the day before, but had not seen them since February when we booked their services. After a few minutes of controlled stress, they arrived. That was good, as you will find out as you continue to read.

It was a beautiful day, just with a nice cool breeze. We took some family pictures, some serious, others silly and then proceed to take pictures of just Andrea and myself. Here are some to peruse.


All the pictures can be seen here.

After pictures were taken, we noticed McKayla, Andrea's little 14-year old sister, walking into a waiting room. (For furture reference, if you are going to a wedding at the Manti Temple, there is a separate building for little children to wait and watch movies.) As we walked in, we saw a groom and a bride. The bride was very upset and trying to clean blood off of her dress. The groom, was holding wet paper towels to his left temple. From what we got by eavesdropping, their photographer didn't show up, the groom's brother blamed it on the groom and punched him, which lead to the blood on his wife's dress. They didn't look happy and I thought about offering them my business card.

Well, that was the wedding blog. We have so much love and gratitude to those that shared with us this great day. The reception blogs are to follow.

14 comments:

Kaye and Jared said...

Congrats!! Andrea and Mark we are so excited you are married and happy!! Keep us posted on how the married life is now.

Elaine said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm so glad we got to be there to share such a wonderful day. I am assuming that you meant to say "sacred" experiences, rather than "scared" experiences when referring to your wedding day. :) And yeah, we discovered the kid-friendly waiting room after the wedding...oh well...

KiM said...

Loved the photos (So---I checked your blog daily to see if the photos were there yet)! Congratulations! Your day sounds a ga-zillion times better than that 'other couple.'

Billie and Brian Taggart said...

All hail E burg! Thanks for the message, I was laughing my head off when I heard it. Your pictures look great! Congratulations again.

jlbunting.com said...

Congratulations. Sounds like a wonderful day. You guys should come out to California sometime for a visit. :)

Troy and Segi said...

Your pictures look great. You make such a beautiful bride. I wish we were there to celebrate. thanks for posting the wedding pics they are so fun to see.

Ginger said...

Looks like an awesome day! Andrea, you were such a beautiful bride!!!

Marisa Jean said...

How fun! I love wedding pictures. I also love how you arranged them. I know you'll have a very happy life if you just keep each other laughing!

Sherene said...

A, you are stunning! Love the pics, what a beautiful temple.

Mari said...

The pictures are great! It looks like it was a wonderful day! So cool to have so many people there supporting you guys. I love the Manti Temple workers. They're always so nice and make a fuss over everyone. Sounds like they need a groom primping room too.

What a great way for the other couple to start out their marriage! I'm guessing that tested their mettle!

Unknown said...

You are ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! I am so happy for you kids and so sad that you went and got married while I was out of the country. Anyway, thanks for thinking I am funny! It's always nice to have something to brighten the day at work.

Monica said...

Thanks for finally posting pictures! They are great. And about the other couple in the waiting room - my mom got a lot more of the story, it was horrible, she hated hearing it on temple grounds.

Sharona said...

Love it! You guys look gorgeous and sound incredibly happy. That's just what I like to hear! :)

deb said...

Congratulations!! You two look so excited to be married. It's going to be a good life. :)