Monday, March 03, 2008

Waiting for Death

So, my last post I told you my grandma is dying. She is. And, we're still waiting.

We're waiting for death.

And it is one of the most unusual experiences of my life. It's strange. I don't like it. In fact, I really dislike it.

We (the family) were told on Wednesday night that Grandma probably wouldn't last through the night. Most of the grandchildren (including me) called her to say "Goodbye." When I called, she didn't talk, but she did grunt and acknowledge my words. I guess later, one of my cousins told Grandma he was going to drive up. Grandma said she didn't want him driving too fast. So, even that is strange--that Grandma can speak one minute, and the next minute she's only grunting and moaning.

My aunt sent this in her thought this morning:

Grandma has been so close to the end of her life, that we thought she had hours, then she would wake up and be very alert and aware of her surroundings. One night she had Kathlyne, Brigit & I laughing so hard the bed was bouncing. We started writing things down because they were so funny.

Yesterday we had a bad morning then she slept peacefully for over 12 hours. around midnight I was up with her for a while, then she went back to sleep. She was so peaceful, her breathing was shallow and irregular, and so was her heartbeat. I thought maybe she was waiting until everyone left. I stayed by her for a while, then went to bed. Around 4:20 AM she started moaning so I laid there and listened. She started talking so I hurried upstairs. I found her sitting on her chair. She had walked from her bed to her chair, without help and without her walker. I ask her how she got there. She said "That's what I would like to know." I cannot for the life of me figure out how she did that. She hasn't been able to stand up without help for over a week....

Grandma wanted to get into bed, so we helped her up and between the two of us, supporting and helping her move we got her as far as the bottom of the bed, then mom collapsed and we had to pick her up and carry her the rest of the way. HOW DID SHE WALK TO THE CHAIR ALONE?

Any way...we're still waiting.

3 comments:

The Clark Family said...

We the Clark Family would like to congratulate you guys on your engagement! We read the story on how the engagement came to be and still are unsure as to whether or not Mark asked his future father-in-law for his blessing?
You don't know us but our blog is joshandlinds.blogspot.com and I Joshua Clark grew up with Marky Parky Poo in Ellensburg Wa.! If you ever need any dirt for a bargaining tool I'd be glad to kick down some love!
You see one time Marky went to the batting cages with me once when I was competing against a girl and he was supposed to be the judge. He told her she won and now my wife seems to think she beat me!???????????????
Don't worry, I've got plenty of info for ya!

Anonymous said...

Actually--I don't think Mark HAS asked my dad yet.

Crystal said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma Andrea. That's always hard to go through.