This is from Aunt EA's morning email.
Well.....we had a set-back on getting Grandma into the nursing home. Some of it was expected- some was not.
She has too many assets. She is only allowed one vehicle and she owns two. THE MOTORHOME AND THE GOLF CART! Neither one is worth a lot and the golf cart cannot be registered/licensed to be driven on the road.
Then she has too much in savings. We can see if her funeral plan can be upgraded to spend some of it, but other than that we would have to private pay to put her in, until her savings runs out, but as I understand it, Medicaid wouldn't start paying until May 1st (they go from the first of the month) so there is the possibility that her money would run out before Medicaid starts. After Medicaid kicks in then they would take all of her money, and give her back $45 a month - TO SPEND ANY WAY SHE WANTS!
There are a couple of things that I know would really bother her, not to be able to pay. The first is Tithing on her income, and the money she sends missionaries. She has mentioned time and time again that she still has 3 suits to buy for Grandsons - for their missions. SO as of right now we don't know what to do. I will talk to the Social Worker today, and get the rest of the info to the Medicaid representative.
Grandma is so confused most of the time. She has her moments of lucidity (is that a word?) but most of the time she is awake, it's like "The lights are on but nobody is home." She punched herself in the face last night. Ralph ask her why and she said she was trying to keep herself awake. I bet she has a bruise this morning, because she does bruise so easy.
She woke up this morning around 6 and Carson heard her and went in. She was STARVING and he told her I would be up in a few minutes, but she got upset and said she has to BEG for food now. So Carson being Carson and so tenderhearted got her some yogurt. By the time I got up a few minutes later, she had yogurt everywhere - except in her mouth! She started yelling because she hurt so bad, and I got her rolled onto her side and gave her some pain medicine. She is asleep right now, and probably will be until the pain med starts wearing off.
So a bit of advice - everyone check into LONG TERM CARE INSURANCE!
2 comments:
This stuff is always hard. I remember when my grandma had to go to the nursing home they went through this kind of stuff too. Can she sell her golf cart and buy suits with the profit?
I'm so sorry, my dear. This must be hard, even though you knew it was coming. I have never been able to go to nursing homes; I cry when I'm with old people, let alone those who need to be in nursing homes. Seriously. I can't go for service projects or singing carols; I bawl the whole time like a baby.
My fav. aunt is in one in OKC and we visit her everytime I go home. It's all I can do to NOT bawl. I finally told my sister my problem the last time I was there because I couldn't handle it anymore.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully she won't have to be there too long, you know?
Post a Comment