Friday, March 21, 2008

My Settlement with a cell phone company

When I moved back to Utah from American Samoa, one of the first things I did was get a new cell phone. So, I ventured around the University Mall in Orem, Utah and checked out a few deals. I first checked out cell phone company #1 (I will not disclose the names of the parties involved). I did a preliminary approval check with that company but eventually signed a contract with cell phone company #2.

The next day my office gives me a cell phone to use for free, and I quickly cancel my contract with company #2.

A few months later I receive bills from both cell phone companies. I, of course, was very upset. It took some time, but #2 canceled all costs as did #1. But #1 should not have even signed me up for a contract.

After hours on the phone with customer service of #1, I was able to figure our where their legal department was, searched that state's bar website until I found an attorney that worked for the company and complained about them signing me up for a contract I never agreed to. After numerous proposals and counter-proposals, we have reached a settlement. Guess how much they are offering?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh ooh! I know!

Marisa Jean said...

I don't know...I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say, oh, $1200?

Anonymous said...

Of course you leave us hanging, Mark! :) So, how much?

Mari said...

I bet they offered you $20. I think you should disclose of the name of the company and give them as much bad PR as you can!

Sean, Jessi and Jaydn Coletti said...

$1?

Meredith said...

You can tell you went to law school!

Mer said...

I don't know, but isn't it great to have the knowledge you now have? I love it! You are no longer naive about the legalities of certain situations. Man, I can't wait to start school! Uh, maybe I should rethink that last statement. Love ya, Mer :o)