It's been four months since I last wrote you a letter. But I really wanted to write you today, on your 16-month birthday.
Zachary, since you got your cast off, you have really, really had a mind of your own. You have wanted to do things yourself and you get upset when I won't let you.
We're so glad we taught you two signs: water and food. Boy, that sure helps me out. You can now tell me when you're thirsty or when you're hungry. Sometimes you sign the wrong thing and realize quickly that you did when I offer you the solution. Cute.
You're not full-speed running still. But, you are definitely not hindered at all by your previously broken leg. You do run, just not fast. And you climb on things. And you jump on things. The only thing that I can see leftover from the broken leg is a slight inward pointing of your right foot. I think that has already started adjusting itself as well. Thank goodness.
You can show us where your nose, mouth, eyes, ears, hair, feet, hands, knees, and belly button are. We've been having fun with that.
You love feeding yourself. You're not that bad with a spoon or a fork. I'm impressed anyway.
You are still a gem when it comes to putting you to bed at night. Your dad reads you a story while I change your diaper and put your pajamas on. Then we sing two or three songs, most often primary songs. We give you Woods and your sippy cup of water. We kiss you and tell you we love you. And then we lay you in your bed. Rarely, rarely do you cry any more. We're so proud of you.
You still love pulling out all the pots and pans. One thing that cracks me up is that you often put Woods in one of the pans you're "cooking" with.
This morning you brought Woods into the bathroom as I was pouring your bath. You insisted Woods joined you in the tub. Typically I wouldn't allow it, but today I did. Afterall, Woods was going to take a bath with the laundry later. I now know Woods floats.
You still won't have a thing to do with milk. Since I stopped nursing you--you won't touch milk. We've offered it to you a zillion times. Nope. Not interested.
We play with cars and trucks a lot lately. Much more than with blocks. You make car sounds and I think they're great!
Lately you've been taking a two hour nap. When you went to one nap a day, it was consistently three hours, so I was sad when you started waking after two hours. However, as I write this, you're to 2.5 hours. Keep sleep Boy!
You don't talk much. I hear of other children your age who seem to be talking more. Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I understand the words you do say, like dog, Dadda, ball, balloon, and bird. Are there other words? Um--not that I can think of off the top of my head.
One of my favorite things lately is that you blow raspberries on my belly! Hahahah! Oh my word--hahahah! You understand, "Do it again!" And you readily oblige. Totally, totally makes me laugh. You bury your whole face in my belly when you do it. Your little face is all wet by the time we all get a grip.
One of your favorite things lately is closing doors on us, especially on me. For instance, you watch me wash my hands in the bathroom. As I go to the towel to dry my hands, you get a big smile and you "get ready." Then you giggle as you close the door on me. It's now a contest whether or not I can get out of the bathroom before you slam the door shut.
We're so glad you're in our family. We hope you are a good big brother in a few months.
Love you!
P.S. Your mother wanted me to add to this letter to tell you about one of the words you know. Today, you were on the floor playing with one the frying pans saying "hot." You've said "hot" for quite a while now. But, tonight you were pretend cooking!
1 comment:
I love this, I hope you do this with each child.
Post a Comment