Ladies and Gentlemen!
We are ENGAGED!!!!!!!!!
Yes, yes, it’s true.
Mark Hales and Andrea Worthen
are engaged to be married in
the Manti Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
on
24 May 2008.
are engaged to be married in
the Manti Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
on
24 May 2008.
Many of you are saying, “Wow—that was fast.” We agree—it is fast. But, it feels right. And we are very happy.
Below is a detailed account of our background and how this change came about, if you feel so inclined to read it.
Introductions
Andrea:
I guess for those of you who don’t know me, I will give you a brief background.
- I am 29. I am the third of five kids (brother, brother, me, brother, (14 year gap) sister). All of my brothers are married.
- I grew up in a teeny tiny town in the middle of Nowhere called Ferron, Emery County, Utah. My whole county still doesn’t have a stop light. I am a redneck—which Mark reminds me of often.
- After high school, I spent seven and a half years at BYU. I graduated in April 2001 (BS, Business), April 2004 (MPA), and December 2004 (JD). Mark and I originally met in law school. He started the year prior to me—we didn’t have any social interaction there.
- One summer during graduate school, I spent almost seven weeks in Samoa.
- I am Navajo (Mom) and White (Dad).
- I currently work for the State of Utah doing policy and administration for the Utah System of Higher Education (the public colleges and universities). I have been working for the USHE since October 2006.
- I spent a year in DC/VA working for the Navajo Nation as a lobbyist.
Mark:
Now it is time to introduce the infamous (which means “more than famous”) Mark Hales.
- I am 32-freaking-years-old and finally tricked somebody into marrying me (well, there is still time for her to come to her senses).
- I am the youngest of 5 kids—so my Mom has been waiting 10 years to announce my engagement.
- I grew up in a “pretty valley in the center of the state” (that being Ellensburg, Washington).
- I served a mission in Arkansas Little Rock and on occasion I can speak with my southern drawl.
- I have an AAS in Geography from Ricks College (1998) (it will always be Ricks to me), a BS in Planning and Resource Management (2000), and my Juris Doctor (2003) from BYU.
- I am overconfident in my acting abilities since I have made brief “appearances” in 5 films and 2 musicals. (It is true… go check me out on http://www.imdb.com/ to see my Bacon Number.)
- I just returned from a 1 ½ year adventure in American Samoa where I was an Assistant Attorney General and where I learned to SCUBA dive.
Andrea:
About a week and a half before Christmas 2007, Mark started emailing me on a social site. I wasn’t really interested in him. But, he kept on emailing me. And, it turned out he was also discouraged about another girl—so we talked about that.
I invited Mark to a New Year’s party I was going to. He came, but I still wasn’t interested in him. And then he sang a very bad karaoke song and I knew we were just going to be friends. Heheheh…..
New Year’s Day Mark went to a chick flick with me and my bestest-friend-cousin. She told me he cried. I didn’t have first-hand knowledge of this because my cousin was sitting between us. Anyway, we were friends. Good stuff.
Friday, January 4th, my roommate and I hosted a mini law school reunion. Mark came along with two other law school friends. https://campfirebug.smugmug.com/gallery/4113873_Ybv7J#239901498. One of those law school friends thought perhaps she was the reason why Mark and I have ended up hooking up. Actually—I give the credit to Mark. I still haven’t got it out of him why he decided to email me in the first place.
January 5th, Mark took me to lunch. This is because January 6th is my birthday. It was fun to be with him. That evening he came to my house for dinner along with 26 of my other family/friends. Then he went with me and 10 of my family/friends to the FMX (Freestyle Motorcross, or in other words: crazy motorcycle stunt riders) show at the Energy Solutions Arena. After the show, he came back and visited with me, my parents, and some of my other friends. We had birthday cake.
The whole next week, we saw each other every day. What truly catapulted this relationship was our weekend trip to Idaho Falls. We left Friday, January 11th. Road trips are truly make-or-break events, if you want my opinion. And, our weekend was AWESOME.
Pretty much since the Idaho trip, it’s been both silent knowledge and a topic of conversation that we really COULD be great and happy together as man and wife.
Apparently, we disagree on who initiated the first kiss. He initiated it. I promise. (At this point, I, Mark, assert my comment that I emphatically deny this allegation and assert that she kissed me first.) However, there is no denial that Mark did say "I love you first." But--when I tried to respond that I loved him, he just kept kissing me. It's hard to talk when your mouth is being occupied. And then I wasn't sure that I really heard him say what I thought I heard--because he barely whispered it. But, yes, he did say it first. And no, I didn't say it back to him (but if he could have only read my thoughts).
I don’t know when we actually made a decision that we SHOULD be married. Maybe Mark knows when that happened. I just know he started talking to his family about a week and a half before I did about when they could all come out to Utah for a wedding. In fact, he has been telling his family a whole lot more about me than I have been telling my family about him.
This all became pretty official just recently—when I dragged Mark to Cedar City to spend time with my entire family. I was very nervous. Mostly because I hadn’t yet told my family how serious it was between me and Mark. I told my parents that Sunday morning, February 10th—including dates we were possibly considering. They now expect Mark to give them 10 cows. Mark is counter-offering with a dead chicken.
Later Sunday afternoon, we had a family meeting before we all left Cedar City. We discussed important dates to keep in mind for the summer. And, that was when my dad kept hinting (“Anyone else have anything they need to discuss? Anyone? Anything?”). I chickened out. I TOTALLY admit it. (This is why Mark says he is offering a dead chicken.) But, my Main Man Mark stepped up to the plate and hit a home run.
Mark: “Well, we were wondering if any of you have any conflicts toward the end of May—possibly the first of June.”
Sister-in-law: “Why?”
Another sister-in-law: “Are you making an announcement or something?”
Mark: “Well, even though Andrea and I have been dating for just a few weeks, we’ve been talking about getting married. We want all of you there at the wedding.” Cheers erupt and “Congratulations!”
So, that’s when our engagement became officially unofficial—or at least it did to me. I mean, we are official: we set a firm date the next day. We’re “unofficial” because there is no ring yet.
And, now that I’ve told most of my family (grandparents, aunts, uncles)—we figure we can tell the rest of the world. So-there it is, the story you all wanted to hear.
Peace out!
47 comments:
I LOVE IT! I told Mark Congrats, but haven't told you yet, Andrea. Congrats, and we're so happy for you! I loved readnig that the Idaho Falls trip was the turning point. I'm sure we had a lot to do to do with it. :) I actually told Mark (before you both came up) that "knowing us would make any girl like him better." I guess it worked! J/K
We have been bugging Mark for so long to get a blog...THANK YOU!
Of course we will be at the wedding, unless something crazy happens to prevent us. I'm 99% sure that we'll be there though. Keep up the blog, and the wedding plans....we'd love to hear about it. (if you actually have time between work, Mark, and planning a wedding)
Love Jessi
Mort was here! and sends his love
Congratulations!!!
-Chelsea
How exciting! We are so happy for you. I am glad you started a blog, I will add it to my blog list. Keep us posted on all the great details. Much love and aloha, S, M, and K
OK, I knew you were cool before...but your dating story seals the deal. You rock!! Now the question is...does he ride?
Although SCUBA would make up for a lot if he doesn't.
Woo hoo from the random (non-dead) chicken! Andrea I am sooooo happy for you!
Love,
Emily (and Sam)
YAY! Congrats! I'm so excited for you both. Your story is crazy! Best wishes to you both - a Utah wedding?
alright, mark!! that's the best news of presidents day. we're super happy for you. wish we could be at the wedding (i don't even have a clue where manti is...south of provo, huh). you seem like a great pair. and i hope you have kids really soon because, i'm sure you know already andrea, mark will be an amazing dad. thank you for starting a blog so we can peek in on your lives! the temples
Cool! Congrats Andrea. Hey, I was in Ellensburg once and I guess for fun, people there smash in the rear windows of cars. Really awesome. Needless to say, I've never been back.
Andrea
Congrats and good for you two! Good luck with the wedding thing and you guys look great together
Barrett
yay! Thanks for sharing the details! I am so happy for you! and you two look so happy together! and you'll have to keep me posted when he's in any shows! Congratulations! again !!!
way to celebrate dead presidents! Congratulations to you both. Before you know it happiness comes and knocks you off your feet! WAY TO GO!!
congratulations!!! i am absolutely thrilled f or you!!!
Congratulations! Who really defines what is fast anyways? Enjoy!
Mindy
Awesome!!! Congratulations Mark! You landed a fine woman! :) Andrea, I'm so happy for you!!!
Hugs,
Ethel
Hurray! Congrats. Isn't love wonderful?! I loved being single but I wouldnt' give up being married for NOTHING. I wish you two the best. Much love, Jo
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so excited for you, and you guys look so happy! I am so glad you started a blog too!
Congratulations, you two! Good to see you last night!
Andrea, congrats!!! I am so happy for you and glad to "meet" your soon to be hubby!!! I hope you keep up the blog! I would love to keep checking up on you!!!!!!
I like this description of love that was given in the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin:
"When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.
Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the desire to mate every second of the day. It is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every part of your body. No... don't blush. I am telling you some truths. For that is just being in love; which any of us can convince ourselves we are.
Love itself is what is left over, when being in love has burned away."
:-)
YAHOO!!! I'm so excited for you! Marriage is wonderful. And I'm so glad that you found someone as smart as you are. I need a dictionary to read both your comments. Really though, you have waited so long for someone and I'm glad you found him. Congratulations!
Love,
Marisa Jean Killpack Larsen
Congrats! Its cute that you 2 have a blog! Keep updating on the upcoming events!
Oh yeah, blog about the proposal! I love that part!
Love the story. Congrats!!!!!
Congrats! I'm so excited for you two! No worried on how fast it seems to other people! We found ourselves in the same situation and sometimes 3 months felt like an eternity to be engaged!! It all works out!! When you know, you just know!
CONGRATS!
This is the best blog post I've read in a long time! Congratulations Mark, you got a winner. Yea!
Congrats to me
hot-diggidy! congratumalations!
Congratulations to you both! Mark, I am very happy you have found someone that makes you so happy. Best of wishes!
~Elise
Yah Mark!!!! So happy for you! Andrea - he is a very special guy. :) Mark - my hubby, son and I are back from Hawaii living in Alpine Utah. My hubby leaves for Iraq in a few days but I will still be living here. If you have a reception - I would love to come - and I'll bring Jenn, Megan, and Kiersten with me! :)Is that inviting myself?? Oh well - just wanted to say that I am SO happy for you!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!
Yaaay!! Congratulations to you both! Sounds like you have a lot of fun together. I wish you all the best!
-Debi
Hey Mark! Haven't see each other since high school but thought I would just drop you a "Congratulations" to you and your fiance. Elise Ringer sent me your blog and told me about the news! That's awesome and I know you both will enjoy every minute of it all! Katie (Wilson) Mayer
We are so happy for the both of you. Keep in touch Carla, Jeremy and the boys
So, will you be moving to Ellensburg, or to the real hot-spot in Washington at Moses Lake? I served my mission in Washington in 70-72 and know the REAL good places (LOL).
I need to add my two cents. I am the one that took the one picture of them on the tube, ready for another slide down the hill. Sunday when they were talking to us I mentioned something about changing our plans, I am getting a Goldwing in two weeks, and Mark said something like this, "If I am going to be part of this family I guess I will have to learn to ride." I ask if that was an announcement and then they told us they were planning on getting married but it was not official until he gave Andrea a ring. It sounded pretty official to me and I couldn't be happier. I have been praying for Mark, (I just didn't know his name)to show up in Andrea's life for several years. I love you two, congrats.
Yay! I am so happy for you both! I can't wait to meet my new sister-in-law! And just like your dad, Andrea, I've been praying for you to show yourself for a long time! I'm glad you found each other!
Fun "how you met story". Sydney says, "I like Andrea better than Mark." So, you see, we are glad you are in our family.
Congrats to you both!! It's about time a woman tame this boy!! Mark, I'll do the laughing yoga just for you in a commemoration of this GREAT occassion!! Congrats again, I'm soooooooooo happy for you both!!
Congratulations Mark!! and of course to Andrea as well. I'm very excited to meet you and tell you to face to face how excited I am for the both of you. It'll be fun to see your blog as it progresses to the big day! Have so much fun during the engagement. It seems like it just flies by and your big day is here before you know it. Take care and we'll be seeing you and meeting you soon! I hope i can make it to your reception--i'm due like 2 days later! this baby might be early so we'll come either as a gigantic whale or with a new babe! Take care!
love....
Beth, Kevin and boys
Congratulations!! Whew...I was beginning to question where my prayers were going and wondered if God and the Saints were hearing me...thankfully, they were heard! I'm so happy for you. Your story is a testament of how God works and how blind and deaf we are when the obvious is right before us! Thankfully, YOU OPENED YOUR EYES AND EARS to welcome beautiful Mark! You will be a beautiful bride. DC Sharon
Congratulations Mark and Andrea. What a happy and exciting time. I don't think you'll ever settle 'the who kissed who' disagreement.
Where will you honeymoon? Am.Samoa?
congrats
jane
Hi Andrea,
Congratulations. I'm very happy for you. I'm also impressed that you have 46 comments. I wonder if I have 46 comments on my entire blog?
Enjoy being engaged, it's a fun time.
Becky
Andrea: I'm so happy for you! Congratulations and good luck!
Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for both of you.
Post a Comment