“Surgery” is a big word for a little girl. But “microlaryngoscopy,” “bronchoscopy,” and “supraglottoplasty” are even bigger words. Those three words are the procedures done on our little Emma on June 3. I kept the world up-to-date on our progress that day. Here’s the record, including the comments family and friends shared.
--------------------
2:30 am: regular night-time feeding; plain breast milk, no formula added after midnight. She hasn't stopped breathing this much the whole time she's been home. Surgery can't come quick enough. :-)
Janyece Swineford – Today is the day! Praying, praying, praying! *hugs* It's amazing how much love you can feel for a little one you've never met.
Jerri Quistberg – I send you angels my friend. ^I^ ^I^ and hugs (()) (())
--------------------
6:00 am: she downed her bottle of grape Pedialyte. "What is this? This is not milk! Oh, wait... Mmm... This is good!"
Shannon Player-Timmons – Sending calm reassurance and love today!
Dave Mulitalo – Prayers going out for Little Emma all day.
Cory Milligan – God bless Emma and the doctors. Prayers are with you guys.
Summer Seschillie – aw andrea, i will pray for you and Emma.
--------------------
7:40 am: we left our place. Running a wee bit late. My fault. Probably should have left at 7:30. I just had too many things to gather together.
McKelle Stilson – France Hope all goes well with Emma today. xoxo
Angie Rasmussen Jewkes – Your in my prayers Andrea! Good luck! :)
--------------------
8:10 am: initial check in. They gave us a pager so they can call us for the full check in.
Melissa Turner Anderson – Good luck!!
Lois Parker-Sanchez – Our prayers are with Emma throughout dis whole ordeal. God bless you both. Love ya
--------------------
8:15 am: all checked in. It's exciting like Christmas. Maybe better! Surgery isn't actually scheduled until 9:30 though.
Maxi Jones – Best of luck. Putting ur family and dr's in our prayers.
Lynne Mahaffey-Smith – Our family is praying did you family
--------------------
9:00 am: all finished with the initial exam. We're in another waiting room. They had a hard time getting her blood pressure like on Wednesday with the cardiologist. The tag around her foot fell off, so she got a sticker on her belly instead. She is going to town on her binky, starving...maybe if she sucks hard enough something will come out of it.
--------------------
9:25 am: a little boy is carried off in the arms of a man in scrubs. The boy is crying. So is his mom.
--------------------
9:30 am: the anesthesiologist talks to us about Emma's meds.
--------------------
9:40 am: the surgeon comes and talks to us about the procedures. Then the anesthesiologist walks with us to the farewell point. We handed Emma off to him and headed to the next waiting room. They said it should be about 45 minutes.
Trudy Rowley – I like the posts Andrea, hoping for everything to go perfect for you guys! I have another friend who's baby went to surgery this morning too, they are done now. Busy day!
--------------------
10:15 am: Dr. Grimmer already came out to inform us it was awesome. The surgery was quick and normal. And she can breathe! Now just waiting for her to wake up. They'll observe her for 23 hours.
Angela Stewart – So grateful for amazing doctors! Glad she did well.
--------------------
10:50 am: brought me back to Emma. She was still sleeping. But the nurse was great.
--------------------
11:00 am: walked with Emma as the pushed her crib into a private recovery room.
--------------------
11:45 am: this whole time she's been uncomfortable. I can tell the anesthesia has really made her feel yucky.
--------------------
12:00 pm: I laid down for a quick nap. I've got a wee sleep deprivation and stress headache.
--------------------
12:30 pm: Mark and I switched. He's napping now and I'm holding the Pearl.
Carol Worthen – We are so happy things seem to be working out for her, she’s still in our prayers, love all of you !
Sharon Romanowich – How are you holding up Mommy? I am so glad everything went well today, I've been thinking about you all! Emma is such a brave little girl!
--------------------
2:15 pm: I'm holding up pretty well. Especially now that I raided the "Nutrition Room." I got some cheese, some mac & cheese, and an orange slushee. I actually got a brain freeze! Hehehe... Mark continues to nap.
--------------------
3:00 pm: Emma just downed 70 ML of milk in 6 minutes. So many variables to consider, but I'm hoping that wasn't a fluke. I'm hoping that is a type of things to come. It couldn't make me any happier!
Shannon Player-Timmons – So happy to hear she can BREATH!!! :)
--------------------
8:50 pm: if I had been physically dancing as much as I've happy danced in my head today, I would have collapsed this morning. I've simply been so full of joy for Emma all day I want to shout it to the world. Facebook is a good enough alternative. Thanks everyone for praying for Emma and us. And thanks everyone for sharing in this joy. Hopefully the next update I post is the one about us heading home from the hospital.
Jason L. Austin – I am soo happy that see is doing well and BREATHING! We are still praying for your family and little Emma.
Shirlee M. Worthen – Andrea, I am really over joyed for you and Mark that her surgery went very well. Sounds like she will be walking soon...
--------------------
7:00 am: the doctor came to our room and gave us the green light to go home. HOORAY!
--------------------
7:15 am: we left Primary Children's with our oxygen-tank-free girl! It only took us a few minutes to pick everything up and get the IV out of Emma's foot. Thank the Lord for modern medicine. Thank the Lord for family and friends who have taken care of us. Thank the Lord for prayer. Thank the Lord for Emma.
Feai Mulitalo – my heart goes to you, little Emma n Mark and the whole family we feel so calmed and happy to hear the best news love you guys!!!!!
Janyece Swineford – Oh I am in tears. I'm so happy! Yea! Eat up, little Emma. You need to grow!
Shannon Player-Timmons – SO EXCITING!! So she should be ok from now on? No more surgeries or oxygen tanks?
Gary Wixom – Great news Andrea--thanks for keeping us up to date. Love to you all.
Zaya Chka – Oxygen free .... Excited for Emma and for your family.
Janis Lea Stark Busath – this is REALLY FANTASTIC news, Andrea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melanie Pugmire Crane – So incredibly happy for you Andrea! Love you! Give sweet little Emma an extra hug from me.
--------------------
We’ve been home for a day and a half now. Emma is a different girl. She’s totally different. And I couldn’t be any happier.
Melanie was able to be in the operating room to learn about these procedures. She said that the surgeon did not use a laser, but “cold” steel tools. She said before any cutting took place, they scoped all the way down into Emma’s lungs. She said that camera was high definition and it was AMAZING to see Emma’s lungs. She said she and the doctor were so pleased that there was no other problem evident, everything besides the laryngomalacia was normal and perfect. I've been told by two people that the likelihood of some other airway problem is higher when a baby is born with laryngomalacia, so this is all extra good news.
Melanie told us that when the doctor finally did fix the laryngomalcia, all he did was cut off two TINY pieces of tissue. I thought Melanie said it was like the size of Emma’s pinky fingernail. Melanie corrected me and said it was more like the size of the hole in a regular button, SMALL!!!! Melanie said they took that from each side of Emma’s throat.
Melanie said that when the tissue was removed, Emma’s epiglottis unfolded too. She said it was amazing!
Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!!!!!
1 comment:
I'm sure that was amazing to see from both a medical standpoint and an answer to prayers. Having Melanie in there sounds wonderful! Someone who knows you and isn't going to scare you to death. What a tender mercy! I'm so glad to hear about the improvements in Emma!
Post a Comment